Wounded- Chapter Nineteen

Start from the beginning

          Now it's time to sleep.

-*-
August 22nd

          "Ayah, you're late!" I heard someone say as they shook my bed. What the...

          "Go Away! I'm trying to sleep."

          "I'm not going away, Ayah, you're late!"

          I lifted my head up to look out my window and frowned.

         "It's still dark, how am I late?"

          "Fajr!" Lee exclaimed in a 'duh' tone. "It's time to get up."

          Suddenly it all made sense, and I jumped up out of bed and ran for the bathroom. After making my wudhu and making salaah, I took my hair out of its messy bun and made my way towards the front room for breakfast. Thankfully I don't have to be at work for another three hours, so I have time.

          But the sight I was met with was not what I was expecting, but odly it made sense.

          "Want some?" Lee asked, her mouth covered in milk from her cereal.

          "No thanks," I said with a low chuckle. "I was actually going to make some eggs and toast if you want some."

          "Yes, I do!" She exclaimed, the milk from her mouth getting on the counter. She reminds me of Mina eating cereal. "Last nights pasta was very good. You need to make it for the group."

          I looked at her in confusion as I took out the eggs.

          "The group?"

          "Yeah," She nodded and put her bowl in the sink before turning to me, a wide grin on her face. "Anderson, my cousin Iffah and our friend Carlee."

          "That sounds cool," I smiled. "When do you want to do this?"

          Lee smiled in triumph. "How about tomorrow night? That's when Iffah gets here."

          "She's doesn't live here?"

        Lee shook her head. "No. She lives in Oklahoma."

           I put the eggs in the pan, getting ready to scramble them when something caught my attention.

          "Is that why you knew to get me up? Because of your cousin?"

          Lee nodded, a proud smile on her face.

          "Yeah. I used to spend a lot of Summers at their house. And since I like to get up early, Iffah had me wake her up. Speaking of which, you don't mind that she stays here?"

           "Of course not. Family is family."

          "I like that you're not bitchy." Lee said before leaving the room, and me awestruck.

      Okay then...

-*-

          "It's good to see that you passed the test and came back." Elizabeth Cunningham announced as I came inside the office towards my desk.

        "Don't worry, I'm not a quitter. If I travelled this far, I won't back down."

          She nodded in approval. "Noted. Now, why don't you sit at your desk and get to work on my schedule. I have a ton of appointments yet I didn't plan a time."

          "What do you want me to do?"

         "I need you to call the people I need to meet with and select a time. And before you ask the times I'm available, I wrote the times down on the notepad."

         "Yes, ma'am."

           "Oh, please," She waved off. "Call me Liz."

          As soon as she dissapeared into her office, I sat myself and my bag down and got to work with the first person. I read the number on the notepad and started dialing.

-*-

           "...Monday at four is perfect, Mr. Shaw. Ms. Cunningham will be there."

          I hung up the phone and let out a deep sigh. I never knew someone could be busy the whole entire day. Today Liz is free, but next week she's booked from eight in the morning to four with appointments, not to mention seminars until seven, followed by late night editing until who knows what time.

          I didn't know being an editor was this much work.

           "You're here again?"

          I looked up from the phone I was now glaring at to smile at Nadia. She is stood in front of my desk with the same folder she had yesterday.

          "Yes," I smiled. "This is my new job."

          "Elizabeth must like you."

          I shrugged. "I guess. The work is hard but not unbearable."

          "Writing isn't so peachy either," She sighed and sat down where she was yesterday. "I have to have at least ten chapters done by next week, yet I only finished two."

          I grimaced. "That's going to be a lot of late nights."

          "I know," She groaned. "But this school is the best; you can't beat it."

          "Let me go tell Liz that you're here."

          "Liz?" She smiled. "She really likes you."

I couldn't help but smile, too.
-*-

PLEASE:

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE