Chapter 12: The Masquerade Ball

"Argh! I'm so excited!" Evie squealed as she twirled around the dorm room in her stunning baby blue ball gown. Evie had decided to change her style of dressing, by wearing a lighter shade of blue so that she would look softer and more elegant. She checked her purse for the items that she would bring, including her compact magic mirror.

"Whoopee." Mal said with sarcasm, resting her head on her arm. She was already in her scarlet red cocktail gown, very different from the normal dark purple that she always loved. It was a strapless gown with a black studded belt that clung tightly to her waist, accentuating her curves. She loved cocktail gowns - she could move freely in it and it looked simple yet stylish. She wore her purple hair up in a bun with a golden barrette that Evie had lent to her just for this night. 

She also had red high heels to match. Evie, on the other hand styled her hair into a french twist, a few blue curls clung loosely to her neck. Evie sure knew her fashion, because she looked stunning.

"You know, I wish they had balls like this back at The Isle."

"Hmm. Maybe. But I don't think it would be a ball anymore. Because they wouldn't like wearing ballgowns like these." Mal pointed out.

"True. Maybe I should throw a ball only on my birthday bash. Just a rare occasion."

"Would you invite me then?"

"I couldn't help it! You are the daughter of Maleficent." Smiling at Evie's excuse, Mal stood up and smoothened the creases of her gown. She felt pretty, tonight.

"You look like you're trying to impress Carlos." Evie smirked, grabbing her purple clutch. 

Mal gave her an incredulous look. Where did that come from?!

"I'm not! I just wanted to dress up nice for him after all he's done for me..." Mal mumbled, glancing at Evie'a flowing ball gown. "Yes, yes, whatever you say." Evie brushed it off, fixing her hair before grabbing her purse and slung the strap over her shoulder. 

Why did you bring him up... all of a sudden?

"Shall we?" Evie offered, smiling brightly.

Mal nodded as she opened the door and exited the room, Evie excitedly following behind.

Mal didn't expect the masquerade ball to appear so... fancy. It didn't look as fun as the Coronation party.

The ball was held in one of the school's ballroom, the same ballroom where Audrey had taught Mal how to waltz. Mal sighed as she saw Evie happily drifting away to Doug, who was dressed smartly in a blue tuxedo, a big bowtie on his shirt as usual. He adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat when he saw Evie, extending a hand and inviting her to dance. 

Mal looked on sadly. How she wished that Ben had invited her to dance with him. She saw Beast and Belle not far off near the refreshments table, laughing heartily with Mr Cogsworth, who was one of the teachers at Auradon Prep. It was no use talking to them now, they might ask about her relationship with Ben. A wave of guilt swept through Mal. She shouldn't have fought with Ben. He probably didn't want to show up to the ball because he knew she would be attending it.

"Mal?"

Mal spun around, a glimmer of hope in her chest. "Ben?" She murmured, only to appear crestfallen at the sight of Carlos. "S-Sorry... I thought you were Ben.." Mal apologised profusely, blushing when he laughed.

Carlos' curly hair was gelled, his freckled face shone with awe when his eyes landed on her dress. His mouth fell open, his cheeks turned as red as the dress she was wearing. He coughed loudly, covering his face with a hand to avoid Mal from seeing his red face. "You look great in red." He mumbled incoherently.

"What?"

"You look... beautiful." He slowly lowered his hand, telling his face internally to cool down. Mal smiled at his black tuxedo and long dress pants. "Thanks. You don't look half bad, yourself." Carlos chuckled sincerely, before awkwardness started seeping in. Silence washed over them for a few minutes as they stared at each other, not knowing how to start another conversation. Mal started fidgeting with a strand of hair that she had left out when she tied her hair. She chewed her lip anxiously. Evie would have killed her if she was here, since she would be ruining the lipstick she had applied for her. Carlos stared at her lips that were painted with a glossy red colour. He turned away almost immediately, his face burning. Where are you looking Carlos?!

"D-Uh... Shall we dance?" Carlos offered with a toothy grin. 

Relieved that the silence was over, she mumbled a yes before the two walked to the dance floor. Carlos took her hand tenderly and placed it on his shoulder, giving her a soft smile before holding her waist gently. The two intertwined their free hands together as they started moving. Carlos stepped backward as Mal followed suit, their eyes not tearing away from each other. It started out stiffly at first, but then Carlos began twirling Mal as she giggled, he dipped her playfully at unexpected moments. He spun her around again, much to Mal's delight. It was fun dancing with Carlos, and she didn't know why. She felt so easy and comfortable around him. Carlos removed his hand from her waist, while Mal lowered her hand from his shoulder, but their locked hands remained, as they circled around each other, before slowing down to a stop.

It's nice dancing with her. At least, she's not worrying about Ben. Maybe, just maybe, if I could tell her how I feel...

"Mal," Carlos began, but he realised that Mal's eyes were not on him. He spun around curiously to see what was so interesting behind him. His mouth dropped open. Ben was here.

But he wasn't alone. He was with a pretty blonde girl that he had never seen before in school. She looked very familiar. The two wore matching blue outfits, and they looked great together. But this wasn't why Mal was staring at them.

It was because she just so happened to see the position the two were in. The blonde girl's lips were on Ben's.

She was kissing him.

A/N: Oh gosh, I hate doing this to Mal... But not to worry, because I'm going to torture Ben later!! *evil laugh*. Anyway, I might be able to post the final chapters of Princess Mal because school is closed tomorrow. The haze here in Singapore is really bad, so all schools are announced to be closed. I have all weekend to finish this then ;)

P.S. : A photo of Mal's 'Carlos drool-worthy' cocktail dress is posted above! I don't own the photo and the dress belongs to ClothingCandy.