Chapter 47 : Relationships, Revelations and Right Timings

Start from the beginning

 While driving I informed Aven on everything that happened between Byron, Carter and I. Not once mentioning Kelly though. I didn't want the awkward tension destroying the friendly new atmosphere. That was something we didn't need right now.

"So you literally tossed the dude in the trunk? Cerise, were you insane?" Aven exclaimed with eyes focused on the road.

"I know. It was risky."

"Risky isn't even close." Aven deadpan. "He could have practically suffocated. Ran out of oxygen."

"Do you want to criticize my bad past choices or hear the rest of the story?" 

He shrugged his shoulders in surrender, "Fine fine, continue."

As so I did.

Then as we turned into the parking lot of the pizza eatery, he asked the same question for the ummteenth time.

"Wait wait wait. So you made out with a guy that you like while another guy that you like was in the trunk of the first guy that you like's car?" He asked as if the situation resembled a difficult math problem that he couldn't solve the answer to.

"I don't like Byron." I defended. "Remember - his dad  may end up marrying my mom. It would never work out."

"So you want it to work out?" Aven rose a sly brow as he turned off the engine after finding the perfect parking spot.

"Those words never came out of my mouth." I shove an accusing finger at Aven's face. 

He shakes his head, blue eyes stream with fun and hilarity. "I can never take you seriously." He laughs. "You're like a baby gecko with glasses and over sized sweater."

"Gee Aven, you really do know how to compliment a girl." I say sarcastically, tossing the passenger side door open just about ready to devour some plain cheese pizza.

Yes, I was a plain cheese pizza kind of girl.

He does the same and we make our way to the entrance. Only then; when I adjust my glasses on my face, I read the bright golden pizza shaped neon sign of the building.

Pizza Realms.

This is where Jace works - my mind says almost immediately. I remember our last encounter all too well. The paint, the laughing, the bonding, it felt like it all happened just yesterday. 

Aven who was walking ahead of me noticed my abrupt stop and turned around. "First you force me into buying you pizza and now you're turning into stone on me. What gives, Brookes?"

I snapped out of my trance at his words. "Hey, you were the one who volunteered like Katniss and asked me to come along."

"Said the Hunger Games addict." He laughs and continues to walk ahead of me. I pick up my pace and we reach the door.

The sweet breeze of the air condition is the first to hit us when we enter. At the front counter, I see no sign of the bundle of fun and follow Aven whose first to grab us a table.

"I don't remember the last time I've eaten pizza." Aven says, skimming over the redundant menu in the center of the table real quick.

"Neither can I." I agree with a nod. My head circles  around the room for Jace, but to no avail - I don't catch sight of him. It would be good to just tell him a simple hey...or just to see his face again.  Maybe he just wasn't on his shift.

 I returned all my focus back on our table and ordering. Aven pointed to something on the menu. He was trying to pronounce it, but failed miserably.