Chapter Twenty - A Shocking Development

Start from the beginning

Wrong time for this, Ella!

And then, I was alone with a very angry looking member of the opposite sex

"Who are you?" He questioned, keeping his voice low enough that it wouldn't travel beyond my ears.

"E-Ella... Martin, I-" My voice was somewhat weak, the path to my airway being constricted was no help to the matter. His eyes flickered as I spoke his name, reflecting a small amount of doubt before they hardened again.

"Shut up." His voice was harsh, but I continued to picture the doubt that had reflected in his eyes momentarily. This flash of doubt confirmed he really was Martin. Though an obviously rougher and tougher version.

"There's no way you're... you can't be here." His eyebrows drew together, and I felt my cheeks heating up as his eyes traveled along my body. I fidgeted uncomfortably under his gaze, too afraid to move my hands from his arm despite how they began to tremble.

"Ella... you shouldn't be here." He voice changed drastically from enraged to pained. And I was greeted with another side of Martin, as though the rough and violent side wasn't enough to shock my system. This Martin was far different from the Martin I knew at school; he looked almost scared.

Hesitantly he began to remove his arm, and I took in a large breath of air, wincing from the immediate twinge of pain that followed. His eyes flickered downward, this time taking in the appearance of the brace on my knee and hand.

"How..." His fingers ran up through his hair, which seemed oddly disheveled. "How did that... I mean. Fuck. How did you end up..."

"I don't know..." I dropped my hands from his arm, realizing I hadn't released my hold. His eyes moved up from, hesitating slightly before they met my own once more. And this time, they were sad and almost regretful.

"Shit... Ella... what have you gotten yourself into..."

I curled my arms over themselves, cupping an elbow in each hand as I fidgeted awkwardly under his gaze.

"I'm sorry."

Those familiar ice blue eyes met mine, and he offered what I assumed to be an attempt at a smile. Unfortunately it looked like more of a grimace than anything else. He flicked the safety on his gun, tucking it away in the waistband of his jeans.

He didn't answer, but fixed me with a look I couldn't quite decipher.

And then, to my complete surprise, I was quite literally lifted off the ground and into a tight hug I had no hope of escaping from. My feet now dangled in the air, several inches off the ground. His arms tight around my waist in an iron, but somehow gentle hold. I was positive he could sense my shock, but I had a strong feeling he didn't care.

His hold around my waist tightened, and I fought back a small wince.

He seemed to be murmuring things under his breath, I couldn't quite grasp what he was saying apart from a few tiny words I could catch.

"Christ..." He breathed, finally a word I could understand. "Ella, I thought you'd been killed."

I blinked owlishly, turning to try and catch a look at him before he tucked my head under his chin. With my ear now pressed to his clavicle, I could easily hear the surprisingly rapid beat of his heart. I licked my lips, taking a breath in an attempt to calm myself.

I hadn't expected Martin of all people to notice - or care - about my whereabouts. Yet it seemed the impossible was happening. He did care, and at the moment seemed dead set on nearly squeezing the life out of my ribs.

"Well... I'm not dead." I murmured lamely, awkwardly adjusting my hands to rest on his shoulders and give a small push. He pulled back a fraction, but did not release his hold.

"How is my dad?" I asked, hesitant to even learn the answer. I could only imagine the terror he must have felt finding out I was gone. How another person in his life vanished without a trace or reason.

Just like Mom.

A tiny part of me entertained the thought of my mother finding this world, but I shook it away immediately. I had other things to worry about. And she had been gone long enough for me to move on peacefully. Still, the shred of hope was automatic.

I could live without considering the heartbreak that I could feel if she were alive.

Martin seemed to hesitate at my question, before clearing his throat and shaking his head slowly. And when he spoke, his voice was slow and careful. I could feel his arms tighten their hold, anticipating my reaction. And it was just by that action I knew I wouldn't like what he was about to say.

"He vanished the day you did. I'm sorry."

My heart dropped.

Just like Mom.

x-x-x

That's right. Looks like Martin wasn't just a random character at the start of the book. Who would'a thunk right? But it looks like he came bearing some bad news.

But I bet you're wondering when the hell Ranger and Ella are going to finally get closer to each other... Well best stay tuned!

Please, don't forget to Comment and vote!