Chapter Seven - Bruises

I woke up alone.

The room was quiet. A strip of clear tape lay over a square of folded gauze on my inner arm; where the I.V had previously been. I wrinkled my nose as I slowly and cautiously flexed the tense limb. Why did everything have to ache so much? Most book characters barely seemed to notice any wounds, no matter how horrible.

Then immediate disappointment crashed over me like the rolling waves from the day before, and I slumped against my pillow. A feeling of total despair rolled over me so suddenly I almost felt suffocated.

I couldn't believe I'd nearly forgotten the situation I was in. Trapped. 

In a book.

"It wasn't a dream..." 

My bottom lip began trembling as realization slowly began to sink in. My eyes began that dreadful burning sensation that was only a warning for the tears to come. And the fingers of my right hand tightened their grasp on the blanket over my legs, as though in preparation for a break down.

"I cant go home..."

Seconds away from unleashing the sudden river of emotions, the sound of a door opening yanked me from the tidal wave of tears building up in my eyes. I quickly swiped my cheeks with my good hand, though there were no tears to pick up. 

To my relief, it was Ethan that walked in rather than Ranger or the doctor. His eyebrows rose in question, seeming surprised I was awake, but only for a moment before a friendly smile crossed his face.

"Doc said you'd be all set to go, but to take it easy." He informed, taking a few steps closer to my bedside. "Do you need help getting up?"

I shook my head and offered what I hoped to be an encouraging smile. I didn't trust myself to speak for the moment, and thankfully he didn't force me to. He simply grinned once more, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat.

"I'll get you something from the cafeteria. Something light... Don't want you blowing chunks in the back seat." He joked, and my smile became just a tad more real. 

"Ranger is just getting coffee and tying up some ends, then we're gonna go somewhere safe to sort this all out." And as naturally as if he had known me for years, he gently tousled my hair. 

"You just get ready to hop on out of here. I'll be back."

He strode out the door, leaving me somewhat stunned by the friendly display of affection.

Ethan had always been displayed as a kind character, although he was also one with a short and easily lit fuse. But sitting here receiving the kindness was a completely different thing from reading about it. It was almost like an older brother, or father figure.

I released a small groan as I began to push myself up, stretching my limbs wearily. I felt the smallest ache in my back, but otherwise I was alright. The stiffness was probably natural considering the situation.

I slowly slid my legs over the side of the bed, biting my lip as my right leg curled down and my toes met the ice cold floor.

Despite how I'd anticipated it, I felt no pain as I moved. I pushed myself up and shivered as cold air touched my exposed back, my shirt having slid off to expose my shoulder. I took a small peek backwards, casting a look toward my reflection in the nearly mirror like metal of the cabinet beside the bed.

I had to pull my hair aside, but I could see them clearly now without a nurse to hide part of the view. The bruises stood out clear as day against my skin. Though the metal of the cabinet wasn't a mirror, it did enough to let me view the dark patches of skin. They were near black, and faded out as they reached my hips and shoulders. Though they were darker on my left side, the right still had taken a blow.