Chapter Fifteen - Homestead

Though I was tired, it didn't stop me from gazing about curiously as my eyes peeked open. I had known almost immediately when we entered the protective seals; the sight of Ethan and Ranger visibly relaxing had given me enough of a sign.

I could see it, hidden in a forest of pine.

We had turned off the main road twenty minutes ago, and onto a hard packed dirt way. The house was neither large nor small. The two story wooden building showed signs of aging, but seemed none the less sturdy despite the years. The deck was crumbling just slightly on the edges, but the steps looked brand new as though they had been recently replaced. The shutters on the windows were sealed tight. The plants around it seemed to have taken to the fertile soil well, and crawled along the sides of the chipped white paint as though they were meant to be there in the first place.

In all honesty it was beautiful to see.

As Ranger drove along the dirt driveway, I found myself feeling nervous. Though I figured it was due to the sudden changes. It could have also been due to the recent events catching up to me, or the fact that I was stepping into The Hunters HQ... More or less. They didn't really have anything official like that. Just enough communication to ask for aid when it was needed.

At least from what I had read.

I really had to not rely on that information - in this world it would probably get me killed.

I gave myself a small mental smack in the face as Ethan stepped out and allowed him self a small groan of relief as he stretched. In moments my seat belt was un-clicked, and I was pushing the door open. While my legs still felt wobbly, I managed to stand and stretch my sore limbs. It felt good to stand, though I knew walking would be painful once the ibuprofen wore off.

In a few moments Ethan was beside me, ever helpful as he offered me his arm to hold onto while I steadied myself. But it was the thump of heavy footsteps that had me looking up, rather than Ranger as he spoke out a short greeting.

My eyes traveled up, along the dirt walkway, and up further until I saw it. Or rather, him.

A great bear of a man. Six foot five at least, as tall as Ranger. And somehow at the same time bigger. Those dark eyes that locked on my form were not cold, but warm. And for a small moment, I thought of my own father.

And when he comes home... and I wont be there...

Yet those thoughts were brushed away as the giant of a man stopped in front of me, and I got a good look at him. He was muscled, and thick around the middle. But not in a way to suggest he was fat. If anything, he reminded me of a living rock. Thick mustache and all.

"A little flower!" His voice boomed like thunder, and I jumped back in a reflex, eyes wide. But I didn't feel threatened, more amused and warm. This was Von... And he could be trusted, I knew this already. 

And so, without any hesitation I gave him a bright smile, flashing the pearly whites. From anyone that had been mentioned in the story, Von had been described more like a puppy than a violent man he looked to be.

"Hello Von." My voice seemed oddly quiet compared to his. As though he was a large landslide, and I was just a pebble falling into a lake.

He grinned, and came to grasp my hand in surprisingly gentle hands. "Did these knuckle 'eads give ya trouble?"

I shook my head and he nodded, shooting the boys a look I couldn't decipher. And I wasn't given too much time for it either as a large hand came around my arm, though not roughly. 

They seemed to like dragging me around like that.

"I got a room set up for ya, they wont be botherin' ya too much."