Chapter Twenty - A Shocking Development

He was as human as he had been the last time I'd seen him.

However I was more stunned, rather than scared. My trembling was not entirely due to the arm on the edge of stopping my air supply, but the identity of owner.

Martin..?

If I had expected to see anyone, it wouldn't have been him.

His eyes were focused entirely on mine as he ignored the threat of pain that came from Ethan if he didn't let me go. Ranger had been one of the first to take action as soon as his gun was drawn, but it was clear that despite the hold he had on the back of Martin's jacket he would be unable to move him.

At least not without risking a bullet through my head.

His father was unmoving in the background, the same thoughtful expression on his face as he watched the scene unfold before him. A part of me was angry at his lack of concern for any of this.

He knew. The thought was staggering. Both he and Martin knew something about this world. How to get to it, which was obvious considering the situation. I had thought Martin didn't even know how to read half the time.

Did he read the book too?

Martin leaned forward and the action was as familiar as his face. He had always used his height to intimidate me in school, and the fact infuriated me to no end. However the gun in his hand certainly made things more critical. The Martin I knew from my world wouldn't hurt me beyond a small push; this Martin would kill me.

His voice lowered dangerously, but remained loud enough for the rest of the room to hear.

"Leave." It was a command, and I saw Ranger narrow his eyes in response. His grasp on the collar of Martin's shirt increased, and he looked seconds away from strangling the other male senseless.

I sent him a look to tell him it would be alright, and it seemed only by luck that he glanced toward me for a fraction of a moment to see it. And for a few seconds he held my gaze, seeming to be searching for something before nodding stiffly.

"... Fine." He released Martin and Ethan let out a sound of outrage, flinging his knife into the sink with a loud clatter. He looked ready to curse out everyone in the room; even me from the look on his face.

"What the fuck-" He began, but was swiftly cut off the moment he started.

"Ethan." Ranger sent him a hard gaze, his eyes flickering toward me once before moving over to Von.

"This is what I called them for. To talk to her."

"Talk. Not threaten!" Ethan protested.

"And that's what I'm going to do. Talk." Martin finally spoke, his voice as hard and cold as a block of ice. A tone I'd never heard him use. In school he was almost a child with his antics - when he wasn't trailing after the nearest skirt anyway.

His eyes had not left mine, and I found myself captured in his gaze. A strange sensation of hope and fear filling my chest. I couldn't pin-point which one was stronger.

I felt a familiar rough hand on my shoulder, and tore my gaze away to glance over at Von. The warmth in his eyes was encouraging, though it was worried. He dropped his hand, sending Ethan a look that quickly had him shutting his mouth and stalking out the door.

"We have tested her. So if I find even a single hair on her head out of place I will kill you." Ranger's words were firm and more of a promise for pain than they were a warning. And a forbidden part of myself felt my heart flutter at his words despite the situation.