Key Information

No comment.

God Bless and Happy Reading!

Hunter laughed. "Whoa, slow down Markob. What's with the dark tone? Is something wrong?"

Markob's answer came swiftly. "Indeed. It is very important that you be on your way to Bethany's show immediately."

Hunter scoffed. "Is this another of your "if things are complicated, we un-complicate them" speeches? Because I'd have to say I'm not really in the mood for a lecture."

"Hunter. Listen to what I am saying. She is not safe anymore, and I won't be able to make it there in time to save her. I know you aren't with her anymore, but if you ever loved her, go to her. Now!"

The phone line went dead, and Hunter stared at it in shock. How did Markob Jakobie know anything about Bethany's safety? Who told him where she was: Amanda?

Was she really in danger?

He threw his phone back onto the counter with an angry grunt. Markob was probably just trying to play matchmaker. Hunter was ninety-nine percent sure Amanda would not have told her boyfriend where Bethany was, and even if she had, there was absolutely no reason to believe Bethany was in any danger. She was being looked after by the FBI, for goodness' sakes! Why should he cancel his show, pay for a half hour taxi ride, and torture himself just to be positive Markob was lying? If Bethany was in danger, the FBI would take care of it.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

Trenton headed to the room in the back of the actors' hallway to meet with his cohorts. Months ago when he had hired them to do his bidding, he had not thought they would do their job so brilliantly. Not only had they managed to get Bethany to break up with her boyfriend and fly out to New York, they had continued their phony weekly meetings and reinforced the idea that Trenton loved her at each one.

The goose chase the actors had sent Bethany on had been for show, of course, and Trenton was sure she had uncovered nothing that would incriminate him in any case. Even had she, however, Jeremy Willakers and Reese Thereon were far too dim-witted to have picked up on the very real criminal activity in which Trenton had been involved for years. He was far too careful with his planning to ever get caught.

When he reached the door, he pushed it open to see the group of people he had hired as extras standing around. It had been so lucky that Catch Me If You Can had coincided with this mission. The costumes in the play were perfect for his personal production, and had come in remarkably handy. Of course, there had been little need of them for the actual production until about two weeks before, so Bethany had never noticed that her so-called "government benefactors" were secretly just rejected actors from the Broadway catacombs.

"Ah, I see you're all here," Trenton stated, closing the door and taking a few steps into the room. "I have your checks." He produced a large manila packet from his jacket and passed it over to Jeremy Willakers. "Distribute them quickly and keep them hidden."

"Wait, Trent," Reese commanded, stepping forward to whisper to Trenton. "I've been meaning to ask you. Where did you get that warehouse? I think maybe I'd like to buy it." He looked back and forth warily, but everyone was distracted. "For my own...purposes." Reese raised an eye challengingly at Trenton, who was pleasantly surprised by what the other man was insinuating. Perhaps when this was over, he would adopt Mr. Thereon as a protégée. He had shown remarkable potential in the past few months, and Trenton was sure he could transform him into a ruthless, cold-hearted villain in two or three years tops.

It was this thought that made Trenton smile and answer truthfully, his mouth close to Reese's ear.

"I had a connection. Name's Henry McIntyre. Look him up; he's all over the internet. Give him my name; he'll know what to do."

Reese smiled graciously, but said no more. Trenton leaned in again, and surprised even himself with the words that popped from his mouth next.

"If you want to see the show, I've just snuck the information into your pocket. It would be good for you to see firsthand what you can do with a little training."

A sneaky look stole into Reese's eyes, and he nodded in agreement, giving Trenton a diabolical smile.

"I'll be there."

Trent nodded cordially, then moved out of the room, shaking his head happily. This mission could not have had a better end. He was getting everything he wanted...and a great deal more.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'

The show went on without a hitch, and Bethany was admittedly proud of her cast and crew. She even shed a tiny tear at the end, though she knew there were still months of shows left. The likelihood that every show would go as well was slim to none, but at least now she knew a nearly perfect performance was possible.

As the cast was taking their last bows, she moved back to find Trenton. He was already winding cords and putting them in their boxes, but he stopped when he saw her approaching. She gave him a kiss, and he wrapped his arms around her lovingly.

"The show went so well!" she exclaimed excitedly.

Trenton laughed. "Even I have to admit that it did," he replied, smiling down at her.

"Well, now we just have...what? Four more months to go?" She chuckled, pulling out of his arms and leaning down to pick up the pen she had dropped on the floor moments ago.

"Too true. Hopefully it'll be as easy as it was tonight, but it probably won't. Knowing how these things go," Trenton winked at her, and she blushed.

"Listen, Beth," he continued. "Have you seen my bag? The red one that I bring over to your house all the time?"

Bethany thought for a moment. "No, I haven't seen it since the other night. Why? Do you need it?"

Trenton nodded, rubbing his forehead in frustration. "I must have left it at home, and it's got a change of clothes in it for the after party." He paused for a moment, just long enough to scrounge around in his pocket and pull out his keys. "Do you think you could go to my place and find it for me? I'd go myself, but I'm kind of in charge back here." He laughed awkwardly, pressing the key ring into her open palm.

Bethany was shocked. Trenton had just handed her the keys to his home. These keys would open any door he had access to, including the rooms in Trenton's apartment that she had never seen. Basically, these were the keys to uncovering all of his deepest secrets.

"Of course I'll go," Bethany said, trying not to show her irrational enthusiasm as she pulled her headset off her neck and put her clipboard to the side. "I'll be back in a jiffy!"

She took off before Trenton could change his mind, reveling in the fact that soon, she may be free of this nightmare.