Chapter eighty-one - Breaking down & breaking away

LIMA, PERU

11:30 AM, JANUARY 10TH (GMT-5)

"ARE YOU sure that you've got everything with you?" Liam asked through the screen.

"Yup, I reckon." Astrid responded throwing the last piece of clothing inside her suitcase. "I should seriously win a prize for packing. I'm so quick at doing it."

"Ha, I bet that I'd bet you." Liam mocked her.

"Probably." She laughed. "But I'm all set anyways. I've already called the cab. It'll arrive at my front door in three minutes."

"Perfect." Liam smiled. "How long will it take for you to get here?"

"My flight departs in about three hours. From then on, 'bout a complete day. My schedule will get messed up because of the jetlag though." Astrid admitted, sighing at the thought of spending 24 hours on a plane. "It'll be worth it. I'll get to see Zayn."

"And us...don't forget about us..." Liam pretended to be hurt.

"Of course that I'm excited to see you! It's just that I want to fix things with Zayn, you know? We left off at a horrendous place. I want to explain him the real reason why I left."

"Good." Liam stated. "Our driver will take you to the stadium after you land here."

"Are you serious?" She pretended to be outraged. "But I won't even get to shower!"

"True." Liam laughed. "But otherwise you won't make it on time, so no shower for Miss Taylor."

"Ugh." She groaned. "Alright."

"Does your flight stop in any city?"

"Yup." Astrid pronounced. "Sao Paulo, but just for about an hour."

"Right, great."

Suddenly, Astrid heard a car horn.

"Taxi's here." She smiled. "I've gotta go. I'll see you in a bit."

"See you." Liam smiled right back at her and disconnected from the chat.

This would be an interesting surprise...

20 HOURS LATER...

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES.

4:30 PM, JANUARY 11TH (GMT +4)

"WHY WOULD someone do that?" Zayn spat in anger. "From all the days of the year, you had to choose my birthday to do a special event."

"You know how it works, Zaynie." Paul spoke, obviously not willing to talk about the secret motives of their sudden change of schedule. "You'll receive your birthday on stage, that'll be great!"

"Sure, that'd be great!" Zayn screamed loudly. "That'd be great if I didn't have someone to share the moment with. Someone who has been- just by the way - MIA for two weeks now."

"Zayn." Liam sighed, trying to hold back his laughter. "Your struggle with Astrid will get better. Just wait a while and you'll see."

Being completely honest, Liam wanted to tell Zayn their whole plan. Zayn had been gloomy since Christmas (and even more after his talk to Brad), and had not even dared to facetime his girlfriend yet. Liam knew that what he was planning would cheer him up, but it was a surprise, and it had to stay like that.

"No can do, Zaynie." Louis laughed.

Paul had just informed the guys (well, more like informed Zayn, because the rest of the guys already knew about this), that that day's concert - January 11th 's - would take place later than usual. Normally, the guys' concerts would start at 8pm, but this one would start at 10, so that they could receive Zayn's birthday on stage (the guys all had a surprise for their friend, obviously).