13. The Hunt and the Horror

Start from the beginning

A few minutes later, as I was passing by Mr. Penson's office, the door opened and Mr. Penson walked out. When he saw me, he smiled at me.

"Well, our work here is done for now Ms. Winters", he said and I smiled knowing I could go into the forest now but before I could think anything else he added, "Let's go."

I stared at him puzzled and he raised his eyebrows, then smiled, "I said our work here is done, Ms. Winters. Now on to the next place"

He started walking towards the elevator and my puzzlement immediately turned to disappointment.

I need to go look for that jacket or I'll go insane, but that will obviously have to wait a little longer.

I pouted and followed him. Once we got into the elevator, I paled considerably when I saw that we were going from the 18th floor right down to the ground floor. I had already endured this torture once this morning when I got to work.

Oh God! Not again

***

We finally reached the ground floor and I jumped out of the elevator, gasping for air while clutching my chest.

"You are claustrophobic, Ms. Winters?" Mr. Penson asked and I smiled at him sheepishly before nodding awkwardly. He had his classic thoughtful expression on again, when no one could tell what he was thinking. He just nodded and returned my smile before patting my back gently.

"Come", he said softly and I followed wondering where we were going. Once we walked out of the building I came to an abrupt stop.

Outside, on either side of the large pathway, stood three bear-sized men all dressed in tight black clothes and thick dark vests. They flanked the path, standing straight and tall, chests puffed out and hands clasped behind their backs. They looked like bodyguards.

What was going on?

It took a few seconds for me to gather my jaw from the floor before I hurriedly followed Mr. Penson. He had stopped right in front of the road and I was surprised to see Roma standing beside him with a worried looking Mr. Talon standing behind him.

Why was she here?

Roma was dressed formally in a white blouse underneath a black coat, and black dress pants. Her dark hair was tied up in a neat bun. She looked stunning. I smiled widely at her and she smiled back before standing facing the road like Mr. Penson. I stood behind her, next to Mr. Talon wearing a puzzled expression.

Mr. Penson turned toward me, "Just do as Talon explained to you on your first day and you'll be fine Ms. Winters", he assured with a smile, and turned away again.

But why was he assuring me specifically?

From the corner of my eye I saw Mr. Talon go stiff, I glanced at him to ask why but he suddenly looked pale and was sweating profusely. He looked at me through his thick rimmed glasses and I saw the tension in his eyes as he cringed at me. My confusion grew.

Were we expecting some important clients? But the CEO and Vice-President weren't even here to participate in the meeting.

Mr. Talon opened his mouth to say something but he stopped abruptly as if he had heard something, and his eyes widened. I saw all the guards go stiff and Mr. Penson and Roma both stood straight with their heads held high.

That's when I heard the sound of cars approaching. I looked to my left and saw three black SUVs heading towards the building in a line, one after the other. I gulped and stood straight and stared at Mr. Penson's back.