Chapter Eight: Secrets from the Grave

I was startled when my phone started buzzing in the back pocket of my shorts but I was too much in a shocked state to move. After a couple of rings, I finally picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

“H-hello?” I stutter.

“Y/N!” I hear a familiar voice say.

“Niall?!”

“Yeah, it’s me. Where are you?!” I took the phone away from my ear to look at the clock on it. It was 10:45 P.M. I didn’t realize how late it was. I turned to look at the pitch black sky for proof of the time.

“Niall, I—I...umm...”

“WHAT?!” I flinch at his rising tone.

I hesitated. “I’m in your flat, Niall. Where else would I be?” I didn’t trust my voice enough to speak above a whisper. I crossed my non-occupant fingers in hope that it sounded convincing. Niall was silent for a few seconds.

“Oh. Good, I’ll meet you in 30—”

I ended the line before he could finish his sentence.  He’d be back at the flat in only half an hour! I didn’t even have a car to get there, Samantha already left! I started panicking. Niall would find out that I lied to him, I couldn’t walk, his house was at least 45 miles away...I considered calling him that I had just left to go home when all of a sudden, the power goes out and I’m left in utter darkness. I nearly dropped my phone as the light flickered on and off. Suddenly I heard heavy footsteps trespass through the hallway. I backed away as the sound grew closer and closer, my heart racing. I walked backwards until I hit a wall not-so-lightly.  I squatted down in fear, chills rapidly running down my spine as the footsteps made its way to the kitchen.
      Oh dear god, my worst nightmares were finally coming true. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. I closed my eyes tightly, waiting for this to be over. Just before I lifted my head to see if whatever was in my house had left, I could sense that something tall was hovering over me.

“D-dad?” I assumed. As I spoke, two large hands gripped my arms like steel girders and hauled me to my feet. I still refuse to open my eyes. I squirmed around in the intruder’s hands, mentally begging to be set free.

“Surprise, surprise, sweetheart.” A cold male voice said. My heart stops beating. I froze in the man’s iron grip, his warm ashy breath entered my mouth that was slightly ajar. This voice was all too familiar, I could easily pick this exact voice up from a crowd if I tried. What the hell was he doing here?

“...Jacob.” It was more of a statement than a question. I started shaking. I felt his laugh vibrate through my chest.
“So, you remember me then. Oh, well of course you should! I was your first and only love, remember?”
                I don’t answer. My head looks toward the floor in hope to get away from the stench upon his breath. It was not oblivious that Jacob had been out all night drinking. He shakes me vigorously, making my head spin.

“Answer me!” he says angrily. I look up and spit in his face. This makes his mood even angrier. He shoves me back against the wall, making my head bang into it. I scream out in pain and pain shoots up my spine. He smiles at this.  “Want to talk now, babe?” He says in a seducing voice. In an exasperated tone, I say. “I’m not your babe!” I say in a disgusted tone. “What do you want with me, Jacob?!”

“Why’d you leave me Y/N? Huh? Why did you choose Blondie over me? He doesn’t care about you. He’s using you for his own publicity.” I wanted to slap him, but his hands refrained me from doing so.
“You know that’s not true, Jacob! You were the one who was using me!” It was nearly pitch black inside; the only source of light came from the glowing white moon outside but I could still see the anger flash in his beautiful crystal blue eyes. That’s right, that’s all Jacob is full of: anger and hatred for everything around him. I haven’t mentioned him for just over a year...the memories were just too painful...literally. I always knew Jacob was a bad boy, everyone in High school knew that. I never liked him, but Samantha did. They dated for a while, unfortunately, she lost her virginity to that douche.  I warned her that he was going to leave her, but Sam didn’t mind because she’s always the one leaving them after a round or two.
                After three months, Jacob found his way into my life. I, in fact, loved that he was a bad boy. I don’t know why, I was 16 and stupid. Jacob was 17 at the time because he was held back a grade because of his lack of education. He always skipped school, or classes to smoke with his friends behind the school building. I didn’t join him of course; I was intending to further my education so I could become a teacher. Jacob and I became close and started dating. The first week of our relationship was absolutely amazing. I believed he actually liked me. He took me to dances, out to dinner, roller-skating, stole a kiss or two. I couldn’t possibly imagine anything better. But then one night, I came home late at night to find a drunken Jacob in my living room with a litter of beer bottles everywhere. He had found my dad’s liquor. I told him I’d take him home, but he refused to leave. My parents were not there, they were at a friend’s party that night.

“Y/N, what do you think about marrying me?” He asks. I was shocked by that