:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

He blinked at me, his face remaining expressionless. "Holly," he started, heaving a sigh. 

"I'm sorry!" I apologized desperately. "I know I shouldn't have talked to Aaron! We talked about this yesterday! And what happened with Jeremy- you said yourself it wouldn't happen to us, Chris! Why do you want to break up with me? Why are you-" 

"Holly," he interjected, slapping a hand to my mouth. "Be quiet for a moment, please." 

I nodded, taking his hand off my mouth and holding it tightly. 

"First of all, stop being so negative." He flicked my nose with his free hand. "I'm not going to break up with you. I think you need more sleep." 

My mom chuckled and I felt a blush blossom on my cheeks. "Y-you're not?" 

"No. I love you. You know that." 

"But then... What?" 

Chris gave my mom an uneasy look. "Lynn..." 

"Fine," my mom huffed, crossing her arms. "Go ahead. Be that man, Chris." 

He rolled his eyes. "You know, sometimes you act so much like Holly you surprise me." 

My mom gave him a duh look. "That's because she's my daughter, you silly little boy." 

"Excuse me," I interjected, giving them both impatient looks. "Do I get to find out what you two were talking about?" 

"It's not about right now," Chris started slowly, his eyes returning to mine. One of his hands came up to my cheek. "But I was just asking her if it was okay to have you move in after you graduate." 

It felt like my heart skipped five beats, like I'd died for a second. It restarted with vigor, beating so hard I thought it was going to burst out of my chest. Sure, Chris and I had talked about this before, but that was just talking. If he was telling it to my mom it meant that it was the real deal. My eyes were round as I twisted around to stare at my mom. "Mom...?" 

She pouted at me. "It's not like I can say no. You're eighteen now, Holly. You get to make your own choices." 

"But..." 

"If you want to live with him, I want you to live with him," she urged. "I won't hold you back. Live your life, Holly. Just don't forget to come visit." 

Chris cleared his throat. "We still have a few months left though, Lynn, Holly. Don't get too far ahead of yourselves. And don't forget, Holly, you have college. You might have to dorm." 

I shook my head vigorously. "I'm staying around here!" 

My mom beamed at me. "That's my girl!" 

"Hey," Chris interjected, giving my mom a disapproving look. "You shouldn't encourage her like that." 

"I want her around here." 

"But it's her schooling." 

My mom smirked evilly. "She's my little girl." 

He grimaced. "I'm glad Holly didn't get that look from you..." 

"Chris?" I started, frowning at him. "You said it would make me cry..." 

"Won't it?" he replied, rolling his eyes. "I know you, Holly. You would probably cry if you were going on vacation for a month away from your mom." 

I ducked my head. "W-would not." 

My mom laughed loudly. "Actually, one time-" 

"Mom!" I hissed. 

Chris grabbed the back of my head and pressed it to his chest so I couldn't talk. "No, go on. I'd like to hear this."