Wounded- Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

        I got in the taxi.

-*-

        "Welcome to the east side," Lee smiled, looking out the window to the place I'll be living for who knows how long.

       "To the left we have the housing for the Academy students, and the right is for the staff."

       "So I will be staying there?" I asked and she nodded, keeping her eyes on the building we just stopped in front of.

       "To make it easier for me to show you around, we will be sharing a housing apartment. You will have to pay a small amount to stay here, only about $150 at most, but it's easier to do it this way. When I first arrived and wanted to live on my own, I had to take a cab forty-five minutes away to come to work."

       Lee then took out some money to pay the guy before getting out. The whole apartment complex took over a huge section of the block. It's a red bricked building with white windows. The pathway is  marble, with people walking up and down. Some reading, some writing and others talking. It's basically college.

        "Anderson!" Lee called to a blonde girl sitting on the stepsً reviewing some paper. She came forward with a smile on her face.

        "Hey, Lee. I see you found the new employee."

       Lee rolled her eyes and pointed to me.

        "Yes, Anderson. Ayah is the new assistant to Elizabeth."

       "How exciting," She smiled and turned towards me, her green eyes sparkling with amusement.

       "Don't worry about Elizabeth. She is a hard-ass when it comes to filing and stuff like that. But she's decent..."

-*-

        After Anderson, AKA Isabella informed me on the does and donts of the Academy, Lee took me to our shared apartment. It's bigger than what I thought I was going to get. I didn't even think I was going to get housing. When I came up with the idea to call the Academy after Jafar...

        Well, after that incident, I didn't even process what I was doing before I picked up the phone and dialed. I just wanted to get away. I wanted to find something other than problems and drama in my life. The Academy was a risk I took because I wanted to know that I could. I wanted to see if they wanted me, and they did. But when certain things happened, this was my only escape.

         "...Ayah are you still there?"

       I shook my head out of my thoughts and continued to put my clothes away.

       "Yes, Mama."

         She let out a low sigh and continued talking.

        How's New York? Did you make it alright? Did you pack everything? Are you--"

        I let out a chuckle.

          "I'm fine, Mama. New York is beautiful and so is the Academy. I start tomorrow morning. I feel like I'm jet lagged."

       She was quiet on the other end, more than likely keeping something from me.

        "Mama what's wrong?"

         She let out a deep sigh. That does not sound good.

         "The doctors say my condition is getting worse."

         That was enough to stop my worrying and have me focus on the task at hand. I can't say this wasn't a thought of mine. It was one thing to leave Mama alone, but another when she has bipolar disorder. She has been doing so well in the last few weeks that I didn't think it was a problem. But now that I think of it, I was the reason why she was okay. The company I mean. But now she's alone with no one there with her.

         Sure she had friends and relatives nearby, but they're not with her all the time to where she doesn't feel alone.

         "Have you been taking your medication? Because the doctor said--"

        "I know what the doctor said," She cut me off. "Even if I take my medication, I still feel like it's not helping. But I don't want to get into this!"

       "Mama..."

         "No!" She exclaimed, and I could imagine her pacing. "We're not talking about me. We're talking about your journey to New York and how excited you are about your first day."

        Even though I didn't want to, I went along with the subject change. I need to figure out a plan, soon.

-*-

Jafar:

         "She just needs to cool off, Jafar. Give it some time before you open up wounds again."

        I don't know how I can do any more damage. After what happened that night, I doubt I'll ever get Ayah to forgive me. I wouldn't forgive me! But her leaving really got me. It made me realize that I broke her. I have hurt her way more than I should have ever thought, made her cry, made her hate me, but never leave. She never left.

       But now she did. Because I put her through so much pain, she had to escape me.

         "Even if I give her years, I don't think she'll ever forgive me."

        He shook his head with a sigh and looked outside to his hotel. We finally arrived about thirty minutes ago, and now it's time for business. So Much for the business we're about to do. Sleep is the first on the list. That and taking some aspirin for the headache I have.

       "Listen, kid. You have made mistakes that seem unforgettable but aren't. Just remember to think before you go ahead and try to fix things. Make sure that you have everything in order before you do and say something you don't mean."

        Despite all of that, I smiled at him.

        "And you say I channel my inner Shakespeare?"

        "Just think before you do," He then got out the car and grabbed his suitcase from the driver. "You heard me right?"

       "Yeah," I nodded. "Think before I do."

        "Perfect. Follow that and you'll be fine. Salaam, Jafar."

        "Wa Alaikum Salaam."

-*-

         Short and boring but I had to give you guys something.

PLEASE:

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

SHARE