6: THE MOVING HAND

Start from the beginning

This cracked Jimmy up and he guffawed loudly. "The first part of the story, the part with my Granny Sal, I'd sure like to see that on the movie screen."

"Right," Brad agreed as they moved over to a small empty space near the port side bulwark. "That'd be great. I bet Shanghai Sal was really good looking when she was young. They'd have to get a couple of the top stars to play her and Johnny Fang in a movie. Like Tyrone Power and Lana Turner. They'd sure do the job."

Jimmy hooted

Jimmy hooted. "Granny would be thrilled to hear you say that. She loves Lana Turner. And she told me Johnny Fang looked a lot like Tyrone Power. But they'd have to slant his eyes to make him look Chinese."

Clint leaned against the bulwark and took a swig of his coke. "I sure wish there actually was a movie about this story. Then we could watch it and know what the hell to do next."

"Don't worry about it," Jimmy told him, looking confident and a whole lot cocky. "I know what to do. If we don't find any trace of the missing scientists in Rabaul, we'll go up to Storms End. There's a ship graveyard there on the cape because of the treacherous shoals, and the town is pretty damn wild. Pirates, thieves, men on the run from the law - every kind of riff-raff you can imagine. Lots of regular guys too - sailors, salvagers, divers, fishermen. It's a sure thing I'll know someone there and we'll get us a boat out to Palua Pae."

Brad wondered just how much experience Jimmy had with men like that. He pictured a Wild West kind of town filled with pirates and cutthroats, rough characters with toothless grins, dangling earrings, a wooden leg or two, and certainly at least one desperado with an iron hook for a hand.

A breath of hot wind stirred the air and he looked back toward Lateela Town where the sun winked at him from iron roofs amid the huddle of buildings and shacks. No doubt about it, this was a part of the world steeped in mystery and loaded with dangerous characters every which way you looked.

He glanced at the newspaper he'd taken back from Clint, then looked back to the others. "We have to be extremely careful, even here on the boat. Who knows what's gonna happen next?"

"You bet we do." Clint looked around with a scornful expression. Then he whispered, "But how do we know the enemy? Almost everybody who isn't dark or white looks Chinese, and they all look suspicious to me."