Sub-Chapter 7 - What Real Trust Is

Start from the beginning

I could feel Eve stare as my eyes stayed glue to the battlefield.

“What are you talking about? Tim, it’s just a game, and if you keep moving like this we’re going to crash,” she warned. “Besides, how can you maneuver so fast and how did you know you could make that turn?”

I slowed down as Sam finally came into view. He had several of them on his tail and he was running out of time and fast.

“I saw it…it was in a movie I saw last summer. It just came to me,” I replied darting after Sam. “I used my mimicry to perform it. It was no sweat, and the dodging is easy after you’ve fought using the flash-step technique.”

She nodded typing a couple buttons on her screen.

“Are the weapons online?” I replied pulling up behind them.

“Yeah, their working at about 70 percent,” she replied. “I can transfer the power from the thrusters into the main gun. It’ll beef up the missiles and the turret guns.”

“Today, Tim!” Sai replied over the radio. “Hurry, they have us locked.”

“I’m coming just hold on,” I replied speeding up.

I powered up and locked in on the head of the opposition’s pursuit.

“Let’s see what these super powered guns can do, shall we,” I replied zeroing in on our target.

He moved and dodged firing at Sam. I couldn’t get a clean shot.

“Sam, you have got to stop maneuvering,” I demanded frustrated. “They’re following your lead. I can’t get a clean shot.”

He continued to dodge as he replied.

“Are you serious?! It’s the only thing keeping us from getting murked,” he replied still banking left and right.

“If you keep moving, I can’t get a clean shot. I could miss or worse, I could hit you,” I pleaded. “You can’t keep this up anyways. You’re getting hit. Your shields are going to fail and then you’re going to be vulnerable. Just stay straight for a second, and I can take them out.”

A pause ensued as I turned to Eve. Sam’s ship continued to dodge ignoring my plea. It was like a punch in the stomach. He didn’t trust me. Eve returned my look with an empathetic stare. I couldn’t blame him but it was still hard to take.

“I’m sorry, Tim, if he doesn’t stop we can’t help him,” Eve whispered sympathetically apologetic. “It’s a game anyways. It’s really not that big of a deal. Let’s go see if Pete and Beth need any help.”

I sat stewing for a second before I shot off after Sam again.

“No,” I replied almost like it was on impulse alone. “I got to do this…for me.”

Eve wildly typed trying to keep up with my mile-a-minute mind.

“Tim, you can’t hit a target moving that fast,” she objected still following along. “Without our anointed powers, it’s impossible.”

I continued to tail Sam and Sai’s ship in a trance. Shot after shot landed. He was running out of space. It would only be a matter of time before their ship would be vulnerable. Sam was an idiot but this time I couldn’t blame him. No matter how insignificant this game was, he wasn’t about to trust me again. I had to change that.

“C’moooon!” I grunted trying to get a bead.

I concentrated as the ship swayed back and forth. I had to use my ability. I had to dissect Sam’s pattern. Maybe there was something I could pick up on that could give me an edge. Left, right, bank, left, right, nose dive—I had it down to a science and it was just in time. Their shield was gone and one more shot and they were done. I watched and waited—left. Everything seemed to slow—right.  C’mon stay on track—bank. It was now or never.