Chapter Twelve- An Arrow Through my Heart

We made it home within the hour. Navi and Dawn were sitting at one of the big circle tables with paper and boxes between them. Laying a hand on my shoulder, Ty looked down at me and walked ahead. We managed to slip in with little attention, but we would have to walk right in front of them, they'd notice no matter what.

Ty goes first, moving out from behind the pillar into the open. Navi glances his way frowning.

"What took you so long?" she growls.

His face remains emotionless as he walks towards her with careful steps. He looks like a hunter, stepping quietly and slowly, as to not warn his game that he's about to put an arrow through its heart.

Except for the small downward tugging in his lip he looked relatively bored and unafraid, but he knew what was going to happen.

"We got caught up," he said shortly. He sounded confident, unlike I would have been. Navi's eyes searched his face before locking on his chest.

"Your charm; where is it?"

My hand clenched around the lightning bolt in my palm. All its sharp edges cutting into my hands, I stepped out from behind the pillar and stood beside him.

I met Navi's glare with my own as I handed Ty's charm back to him.

"Where were you?"

"For a walk in the city," I say cutting off Ty before he could open his mouth. If we were going to successfully keep this secret then he would have to follow my lead.

"Why on God's earth would you do that?" She pushed back her chair. "Resistors are hidden among every mutt."

"How do you know that?" I say narrowing my eyes.

"News came when you were away. Sector Three has been invaded with masked human resistors posing as mutts, all to kill those who get close enough to them. Word is that the same has happened in Sector Two and soon to be in all sectors, including this one."

Dawn stood, holding papers to her chest. "She's right, if the same has happened in already two sectors then what would stop them from coming here?"

"They have every reason to come here," Navi snaps. "They want us. They are looking for us so they can kill us. Kindness is not something we can risk giving them." This time she looks at Ty frowning.

"It was only a matter of time," Dawn whispers.

"We couldn't hide forever," I say looking at Ty. "They took everything from us...they'll keep taking from us unless we do something about it."

"Give them no choice but to find us." Navi crosses her arms.

"They'll kill us! Can't you see the danger?" Ty looks at me.

"I see the danger, but I see more danger in doing nothing but waiting for them to put a knife to my neck or a gun to my head. They killed Angel, murdered the rest of our creators -- they destroyed our home and have sent us running for our lives. They want a war, well they got one."

The room goes silent.

"I second that notion," Navi raises a hand.

"We are not voting on any notion!" Ty groans.

"If I third the notion will you let me come up with the weapons design?" Dawn looks between Navi and me. Navi nods.

Slowly, Dawn's hand goes up. "Really!" Ty throws his hands in the air. "Are you all going to really be this stupid?"

"We're not stupid; we just don't want to wait to find out our fate by staring it in the face." Navi rolls her eyes and looks at me.

"There are blue prints up stairs on my mattress, get them and come back down. We start planning now," she says turning her back on Ty.