Chapter 7

My brother dropped me off at the curb in front of our apartment building so he could park his bike in the back. I started to walk inside when a familiar voice stopped me. 

"Ready to get to work?" 

"Quinn I would love to but I have tons of homework to do."

"I'll help you then. It will get the job done quicker."

"What job," my brothers voice appears.

"I volunteered to fix Quinn's bike but I have homework." My brother gestures to Quinn with his thumb as if to say are you serious. "Oh right, Quinn this is my brother Nate, Nate this is Quinn." All they did was stare at one another. My brothers face was emotionless. 

"How did you two meet?" He asks. 

"Well while I was waiting for the bus this morning Quinn and his friends were playing poker so I decided to talk to them. After a while I figured my bus wasn't coming so I asked Quinn to give me a ride." My brother opened his mouth in a O position. "So I kinda owe him the favor."

"That's nice, now let's get inside. I'm sure your hungry." Nate started to shove he towards the door.

"But I'm not..," Nate clasps his hand over my mouth.

"Nice meeting you Quinn," My brother gives a quick smile then turns to whisper in my ear. "We will talk about this later." I roll my eyes. Nate is so over protective I can handle myself. I didn't take self defense classes for three years for nothing. 

Once we were inside the apartment Nate turned me to face him and had his hands on my shoulders.

"What were you thinking! Getting on a bike with a stranger. You could have gotten hurt. Who knows what that guys on."

"How do you he's on something," I start to glare at him. "I was perfectly fine until you came along."

"Now don't use that tone with me." I could hear the anger in his voice but he was trying to keep cool.

"What tone? I'm only talking. Now if you excuse me I have to do my homework." I push myself away but he grabs my wrist. I flinch and his touch, he sees his and his face starts to soften. 

His voice turns into a whisper. "I don't want you to get hurt." He lifts my sleeve up to reveal my cut wrists. He starts to gently rub my scars. 

"No one is going to hurt me anymore Nate." My voice softens.

"You don't know that."

"Yes I do. I have my way over protective brother protecting me." He lifts his head up and smiles.

"Ya, I can be a little over protective."

"A little? You baby proofed everything in the apartment." A smile  now forming on my face. 

"Okay okay i'll dial it down a little bit." He let's go of my wrists and heads over to the kitchen. "How about chicken fingers and mac and cheese for dinner tonight?" 

"Perfect. Did you find a job yet?" I place my bag onto the portable table and plop myself down on a folding chair. 

"No not yet but I have an interview later this week for a job." Nate says as he is putting water in a pot. 

"That's good. Now if you don't mind I have homework to do." 

A couple hours later I finished my homework and it was only five-thirty. We had dinner at five. I decided not to help Quinn with his bike just yet. I couldn't find him in the first place so it was no big deal. 

After I finished putting my books away I decided to take a walk to town. I grabbed my satchel, keys, wallet, and my phone. I told Nate I was leaving and I was gone. Once I got outside the September breeze blew across my face. I take a deep breathe and start walking. The cold weather is coming and I can't wait. 

As I walk through the town I notice it's nice and cozy looking. To my right is a cute little coffee shop that I will have to try. When Nate and I were riding through the town it was full of life now it's almost closing time. 

I continue walking till I reach the shop I was looking for;  Auntie Mae's Fabric Shop. I pull open the door, the sound of jingle bells play above my head. I take a good sniff of the air and the smell of snicker doodles fills the air. The shop makes me feel safe and not a lot of places do that. I start walking towards the fabric displayed on the wall when a short old woman with white hair and cat eye frame glasses walks out from one of the isles. In her hands are a plate or snicker doodles. I meet her eyes and I smile. 

"Welcome to Auntie Mae's,"  she says. "I'm Mae but everyone calls me Auntie Mae. Would you like a snicker doodle dear?" She offers me the plate and I take one. "Your going to be wanting more later." She says with a wink. I take a bite and it's like heaven. I moan in pleasure. "I told you." I then realize, after I devoured the who cookie that I haven't introduced myself to her.

"How rude of me," I say as I wipe my hands on my skirt to get all the sugar off. "I'm Kayla I just moved here." I stick my hand out, offering her to shake it. 

"I know," she takes my hand and smiles. "It's a very small town,word travels fast. That and my grandson told me about you." She releases my hand and heads over to the front counter. She places the cookies next to a help wanted sign and a free cookies sign. I look from the help wanted sigh to the old woman. 

"What's your grandson's name? Do I know him?"

"You might," she winks at me and turns to the back of the shop. "ERIC!!" She calls. Then out comes boy I met earlier today.

"Video game boy," I say. I smile, glad that her grandson wasn't Michele. He gives me a confused look then realizes it's me, the new girl. He suddenly blushes and looks shyly at the ground. 

"Eric chin up we have a customer. I have to go do something in the back. Ta ta," she waves and then she is gone.

"Um..," Eric looks up but doesn't meet my eyes. 

"I see you need help here." I point to the sign and his gaze follows. Then he turns back to me and actually looks in my eyes.

"Ya do you want a job?" He sticks his hands in his apron's pocket. 

"I thought you'd never ask," I smile at him and he gives me a sight smile back. Then an awkward smile comes upon us. "Don't you need to give me the papers?" Eric jumps into action and goes behind the counter to get the papers and a pen. 

"You can fill them out over here" He pulls out a stool from behind the counter and places it in front of it. 

"Thank you," I say with a smile. I take a seat and start to fill everything out. They ask the basic questions like your name and whatnot. When I'm done I hand the papers back over to Eric. 

"You'll need to get the papers signed by your parent." He says before I can head back over to the fabrics. I turn back.

"Ya, no problem." I take out my phone and check the time; 6:00. I look back at Eric who is nibbling on a snicker doodle. "It was nice meeting you Eric. I'll see you tomorrow. Tell you grandma that I said good bye." I give a wave and he waves back. 

I exit the store satisfied with my first full day in my new home. 

********************************************************************************************

Another chapter done!!!!! School is being a pain in the butt. Middle school does not prepare you for high school at all. Enough about me. This chapter I really liked Auntie Mae, I mean who doesn't like snicker doodles? And the people who don't i'm surprised. Vote, Comment, Share!!!!!!!!

~Katie