Chapter 4

The smell of bacon wafts into the room. With my eyes still closed I slowly get out of bed.

"Bacon," I mumble.

"Yes bacon. Now be a good girl." I open my eyes a crack. Nate picks up a piece of bacon and waves it in front of my nose. "Good girl, now sit, good, good. Now sit, siiittt. That's a good girl," Nate pats my head and throws me the bacon. I catch it in my mouth and munch on it happily.

"Someone's chipper this morning," I tell Nate.

"Well someone has to be. It's the first day of school!" With his back to me I send him a death glare.

"Wwwhhhyyyy? We literally just got here." I whine.

"Yeah and I'm making bacon. You're point is?"

"Ooooo someone's mood turned sour fast."

"Shut up and get dressed already." He tells me while pointing his spatula at the bedroom door.

"Alright, I'm going, I'm going." I put my hands up surrendering and walk backwards to the door. "Uph," my head bumps info the door frame.

"Serves you right," I hear my brother mumble.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing! Now go!" I walk into my bedroom and head straight to the boxes marked clothes. I open them up and start to lay out possible outfits. I decide on a black skater skirt, olive green sweater that's two sizes to big, and my black converse. The first day of school is the only day I dress up. Any other day it's sweatshirts, leggings, and my warm fuzzy boots. 

I pull my hair into a high ponytail, adjust my glasses and head out the door. I hear Nate in the bathroom so I prowl around the kitchen for food. I grab a piece of toast with butter and the keys to the apartment. I put the keys into a pocket in my backpack and zip it up tightly.

Just as Nate gets out of the bathroom I remember I forgot my phone. It's the old reliable flip phone I found on the side of the street. Luckily Nate was able to fix it.

I walk out of my room trying to put the phone in the same pocket as the keys when I bump into a wall.

"Ow," I moan as I rub my forehead. It seems my head is like a magnet for injures today.

"Kayla? What are you still doing here? Your bus gets here any minute. Get out. get out, get out!" I take my first bite of toast and fling it into the sink. Then Nate literally pushes me out the door and slams it in my face.   

"Thanks for nothing," I shout through the door. "Meanie," I mumble. Then I hear what I think is a bus. My eyes open wide and I sprint down the stairs and out the door.

When I get down there I see it's only a garbage truck. I look around and see the same guys playing poker from yesterday. I casually walk over to them.

"By any chance did a yellow school bus pass here yet?" I ask them

"No," one of them mumbles. 

"Okay, thanks. What are you guys playing?" I asked any of them.

"Poker," the one with the red bread stated , not looking up from his cards. They all have beards and they are strangely all different colors.

"Its smart that your using m&ms instead of money." I say trying to make conversation. None of them answer. "I'm Kayla by the way." One of them grunts. "And you guys are?"

"I"m Quinn," the one with the red beard says with annoyance.

"Teddy," I inspect his beard and its brown with what i'm guessing is cookie crumbs.

"Napoleon," this guy has a long black beard separated into two braids.

"And I'm Author, sorry about these guys. They were up a little to late playing..."

"Don't tell the girl what we were doing." Teddy yells at Author, who is sadly next to him. Then he makes his voice a whisper. "She could bust us and give us over to the cops."

"What do you mean bust you?" I ask them.

"See! She's already onto us," Teddy says as he throws his cards up in the air.

"There goes our game," Napoleon states. He starts to collect everyone's cards.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your game." I tell them.

"Don't apologize, it happens everyday." Author says.

"Really? Why?"

"There she goes again!" Teddy exclaims. "Call me when you," he points a finger at Author, "are done spilling our secrets to a little girl.

Excuse me? I bet this little girl could beat your butt in poker. Instead my mouth just hangs open.

"Give the girl a break," Author stands up for me. Teddy sends him a death glare and retreats inside the apartment building.

I glance around the area looking for a clock. "Does anyone know what time it is?"

"6:45," Author answered.

"Shoot. My bus isn't here yet and I'm going to be late. Can any of you guys give me a ride?" I look around hopefully. No one speaks. "Come on guys. It's my first day of school, at a new school."

"Alright i'll do it," Quinn volunteers.

"Thank you," I go over and embrace him.

"Ya, whatever. Lets go." He pushes me off and walks toward the alley way before he turns back around. "Napoleon can I borrow your bike? Mine broke down again."

"Ya, sure," He tosses Quinn the keys and he heads to the alley way again. I follow close behind him, but when I see the guys bikes I go ahead of Quinn.

"No way, is that a 1935 Indian Chief motorcycle?" I ask Quinn. When I ask him a grin crosses his face.

"That's my baby," then his grin turns into a frown. "How did you know that?"

"I know a thing or two." I look at him and he seems unconvinced. "My brother rides a 1947 Harley Davidson Knucklehead. But I added a double seat." Quinn looks at me with surprise. "I go with him to bike shows and whatnot. I also fix his bike if I have the materials." I continue to inspect Quinn's bike. Quinn  finally starts to speak up.

"D-d-do you think you could fix my bike," he stutters.

"Ya sure, but I'm going to need money for the parts." I look at him nervously.

"Done, as long as you fix my baby. Now lets go," his grim attitude changes completely. I'm surprised that he could be this happy. But then again you should never judge a book by it's cover.

************************************School is starting in a week and I've been doing last minute shopping. I know, I know excuses, excuses but i will be trying to write at least once a week. Sorry again!!! Vote, comment, share.

~Katie