Chapter 6

As Micheal and I walk out of the office I see the hallways filled up with the students from outside. When I walk by with Micheal they act as if nothing happened. I must have had a weird expression in my face because Micheal leaned down and started whispering. 

"They aren't looking because I'm with you." I look at him with a confused expression on my face. He sighs, "I'm the principles son. Don't mess with me or you'll get it." I see a pained expression on his face. I suddenly feel guilty but the feelings leave when I see him headed to a bunch of muscular guys with girls with barely and clothing. 

We make a stop in front of them. Some of the guys say hey as others give him a slap on the back. The girls try to flirt with him and I'm just standing here watching.  

"Hey Micheal who's the brownie?" One guy calls out with checking me out, the girls give me disgusted looks. Micheal looks back real quick then turns back and stares at me. As if he forgot about me. I give him a disapproving look, then I turn around and walk away.  

"Nice going," I hear Micheal say.

"All I did was ask you who she was." The same voice as last time responded. So much for the help. Once I get out of their sight I pull out the map of the school. It's a small school, except nothing is labeled. I walk in a slow circle, everything looks the same. I give a big sigh. I slide down the wall closet to me and put my head in my hands. 

I try to remember where the principle's office is but instead I get a flashback.

There's screaming, lots of it. I thought it was the stereo and the music my father listened to, but he was away. I walk cautiously down the hallway when I get stopped by my brother. He puts a finger to his lips and walks me back to my room. I give him a questioning look, all I get is a sad smile. He quietly slides back out. Before he can close the door all the way the smell of Vodka fills the air. My back stiffens, I could hear Nate's breath hitch. Before I can react I see Nate slammed against the wall and the bottle in my fathers hand shatters. Punch after punch, I'm paralyzed, I can't move. I see Nate's limp body fall to the ground I stare at it before I lock eyes with my father.  I quickly look to the floor but its to late. 

"Your next sweetheart," he says. Then everything goes dark. 

"Kayla," I feel someone shaking me. My head shoots up, alarmed and scared. I look around and meet Micheal's eyes. I relax a little. "Are you okay? You were shaking like crazy." I notice his hand is still on my shoulder. I get up and brush myself off. 

"Why do you care?" I start walking. "What happened to your buddies?" 

"Buddies really?" I turn back and give him a death glare. He sighs and catches up to me. The hallways are empty now. Great, now I'm late. "Your already late, lets get you to class." I don't argue I only follow. I sense Micheal looking back at me every once in a while. 

"If you want a picture or autograph all you have to do is ask," I say with a smirk.

"It's not that, are you sure your okay?" 

"I'm fine," a grim expression covers my face. "Just take me to my class." He looks unconvinced but he leaves me alone. 

The rest of the day went smoothly, except for the fact that Micheal kept looking at me like I was a fragile china doll. He was really starting to get on my nerves. When the finial bell rang I got out of there as fast as I could. My heavy backpack was slowing me down though. 

Once I'm outside I see Nate leaning on his bike searching for me. I run up and hug him. At first he doesn't hug back but once he realizes its me, he hugs back. 

"How was your first day Squirt?" He asks while taking my bag and putting it into one of the side baskets. 

"It was alright." 

"You don't seem so sure." His concerned face turns into a angry one. "Did someone make fun of you." He looked like he was a lion ready to attack his prey. I put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. 

"No one hurt me Nate, I just had a really slow and boring day."

"Are you sure?" He searches my eyes for answers but I keep them hard as stone. Not letting anyone see right through me.

"Yes now let's go. I have homework to do." I shove him and his playful smile returns. "Your going to pay for that later." 

"Sure I will," he tickles me a little bit and I start giggling. "Stop were in public." Is all I'm able to say. He stops and we get onto the bike. It's only then do I feel someone watching me. I turn around and search the crowds but the person staring is gone. I shake the thought away. I turn my gaze to the road in front of the bike. Smiling, when I feel the wind through my hair. 

*****************************************************************************************************

Another chapter done!!! During this chapter we got into Kayla's mind a little more. I hope you enjoyed. Vote, comment, share!!

~Katie