Chapter 4

"I feel bad for the messengers of the kingdoms" Mayem said as he watched the Sandire messenger slither through the snow toward the castle. "Must be about the war in Vinyash" Henfir replied and he walked over to the window and watched him as well, "I don't know, I think it might be for something else" Grinva added as she to walked over to the window.
"Well if it is about something else then what would it be?" he asked, she just shook her head, "I'm not sure sweet heart, maybe they need something from us" Henfir laughed. "What could they possibly need from us? Don't they have enough?" Grinva shrugged, "I guess not if that's what they're here for" he mumbled "heh, if" Grinva rolled her eyes.
"Come on Mayem, you start training tomorrow and I want you rested up for it" Mayem stood up and walked with his father into his room where he kissed him goodnight. Henfir then tip toed out of his room and back into the kitchen area where Grinva stood in front of the sink washing dishes.
"Do you ever worry about him?" she asked as she heard his footsteps enter. "A little, but I guess that's only cause he's growing up to become a strong little KnightWolf like his father" she laughed a little, "yes I suppose but I'm just concerned he might not be ready for this, it seems like a bit much for him only being nine" he sighed and sat down at the table.
"I suppose he might not be but I wouldn't worry about that too much, in training classes they only start with the basics of using wooden, light weapons and then make the wooden weapons a little heavier as they become more and more used to holding the sword or bow depending on their preference" Grinva was inpressed.
"I like the way our queen does things, she's quite clever wouldn't you say?" Henfir nodded, "she is very clever, I think she's one of the most smartest queens we have, she knows a lot about what she's doing" Grinva nodded in agreement.
"You think she's trying to avoid making some of the mistakes her father made?" Henfir rubbed his chin in thought, "maybe, I remember pups his age didn't start training with swords and such until they practiced paw fighting first, then they introduced the sword but by then they were technically old enough to join the KnightWolves and were called into battle anyway, even thought they had no idea how to use a sword" Grinva sighed.
"I remember when our daughter, went out into war" Henfir immediately stood up from the table and put an arm around her, "I remember it to, but that won't happen, not again, not ever" Grinva started to cry and Henfir held her in his arms tightly. "She was only 14!" she exclaimed. "Sshhh I know, there there, honey I assure you that that will not happen to Mayem" he looked up "I'll make sure of it".

"Queen Emlin, a Sandire messenger wishes to see you" he said calmly as he walked back inside the castle. "Yes yes, send him in" she replied, curious as to what he has brought her.
As soon as he slithered his way in she immediately gagged in disgust. He had to be one of the worst she had seen, he even talked funny. "I bring a message from meh king darlin'" she hesitated even taking it from him but she did anyway, "th-thank you" she pulled off a fake smile before shooing him away.
"Blah blah blah, need more land, blah blah blah" she read out loud, then she slowed her pace and rose a little in her throne, "so we are planning to take some of your land!?" she exclaimed. "How dare he try to take our land!" she tore up the message and pointed to one of her DogGaurds, "get me my map table!" and stood up quickly as the DogGaurd ran and brought it out.
"So he wants. To take on. My KnightWovles!?" she placed both of her paws on the table, "then let's show him what we can do!" she gestured for her most trusted wolves and dogs to come and stand around the table. "We don't want to put our strongest out front, we need to put them toward the back that way we can wear the ScaleWarriors out and hopefully drive them back" one of them pointed to the border, "then we should send in our advanced archers first while the DuelPaws rush forward to take on the front lines" Emlin smiled.
"Excellent, then we have the HeavyPaws come in as a back up" they all nodded, "who makes the first move?" Emlin looked up, "the first move has already been made by the fool who started this, now the second move is made by the opponent who accepts the challenge, but the first move in the war goes to whoever attacks first, who ever is brave enough to start" they looked around at each other.
"So that's us" Emlin nodded, "precisely, now Ujeni, go to commander Blint and tell him the plan" she nodded and ran out the castle entrance. "Gunvon and Kilmit, you two will take a patrol and make sure the Sandile Snakes haven't made any advances" they both gave a salute before running out the castle entrance.
"Doqir, Lin, Ponte, you three will warn the Dog Towns about tomorrows war" they all saluted her before running out the castle entrance like the others had. "This should go smoothly" she assured herself.