Chapter 4

Jodie's Pov

It had been 5 days since the school told me they had mailed it, and I was beginning to loose hope. You may consider my panicking exactly that- just a panic. Because i was worried that something would go wrong in the mailing process, or that the school wouldn't send it, or even that they wouldn't find his address, but it was a slight overreaction, despite how painfully realistic i was being.

Getting ready for school, i threw on a grey top and some black jeans, slipping on the converse i had spent a lot of time saving up for, then tip toed myself all the way downstairs, the whole time not hearing my mother say or do anything, and assuming, or should i say hoping, she was out.

"Where the FUCK do you think your going?!" I heard, turning quickly to see myself to face my raging mother who is thought wouldn't be in, or at least awake at this time in the morning, but was in fact stood, wide awake, in the doorway of the kitchen.

"S-school..." I stuttered out, just about getting the words out of my trembling mouth. I just wanted to get to school, I didn't want to be late again.

"Why didn't you do all of your chores last night?! Huh?!?" She screeched, I flinched back. "I did." I said quickly, managing not to stutter in my panicked state, which was quickly going from a slight worry to a panic overload in a few seconds.

"NO!  You didn't! You'd better fucking do them tonight, otherwise you know what will happen!" She screened, leaving her threat empty, yet completely full of anger and violence at the same time. She quickly but harshly slapped me and I ran out of the door. For a moment i considered wondering how she could already be drunk, but i didn't want to waste my time thinking about her because i wanted today to be a good day, despite starting off on a bad note.

I arrived in class just as my teacher did, late. But she didn't mind because she was just as bad as the rest of us, turning up 10 minutes in without real excuses and not being ready to start even then, having to go to lockers for forgotten books, folders or homework.

I took my seat and followed the rest of my class in what they where doing, which was simply waiting for our slow teacher to get ready, I mean, she was lovely and all, but how could one person be so late to their job everyday !!

"Okay class, luckily some lucky students has been replied to. Now, if you haven't been replied to then don't worry, you might get mail another day, but if you have been then good for you." She started handing out the small envelopes to the first few people as she kept talking. "Now, as this is a project, those of you who have responses can write back as homework and carry on with your existing pen pals. But if you haven't been replied too then your homework is to choose someone else and write to them. Of coarse you can try your luck with the same person but this may not work."

She carried on handing out the few letters she had. There where about 28 people in our class but she only had about 5 letters, meaning I probably wouldn't get one. However the last letter in her hand looked suspiciously like it said my name, and just as I was about to pass it off for faulty eyesight, she came over and handed the small letter to me.

"Well done Jodi." My teacher said quietly, smiling at me before going back to the front of the class and starting the lesson as if my absolute freaking idol hadn't just written back to me! To say the least I was shocked, and completely mind blown that he had given me a chance, but I was so ready to write back again and see what he had to say to me.

Once my long and tiring day of school had finally finished and I had once again endured a day of dealing with snotty rich kids and a crappy lunch- not to mention the lessons, I finally settled at home to go about my business. But as I got home and started doing just that- going about my business- I suddenly realised that being at school and away from my house and mother was probably much better than this.