Chapter 49: We Start Tomorrow

I watched the anger in her face drift off slowly as she fell asleep, becoming more calm. I sighed, I just wanted her to let me in, I wanted to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be find, but like Max she was distant, she liked to isolate herself and deal with it.  I could see her anger towards Scrotus, anger that made her blood boil.

Phoenix and Max walked in, whispering to each other but going silent when they saw me. "How's she doing?" Phoenix asked, looking sadly over we Ariadne.

"She's angry, can't think about anything but getting rid of Scrotus, but then again, it's all anyone's thinking about." I sighed, covering Ariadne up with a blanket and heading down to get some food with Max and Phoenix.

We all sat next to Jeet who was alone at a table, holding his head in his hands, taking deep breaths. I wish I could help him, he had become chronically sick, like many people did in the wasteland, and he suffered every day, but Jeet was strong, and he kept going. "Where's blondie?" He asked curiously, his eyes low and exhausted from just the headaches alone.

"Sleeping" Phoenix answered before I could. The four of us were the only ones at the tables right now, everyone else was outside, readying the rigs and getting into their groups, ready for when Scrotus came our way. "He'll be coming full force soon, we have to be ready, what's the plan?" The three of them just stared at me blankly, like they had no idea what a plan was.

"The plan is not to die" Jeet chuckled, standing to his feet and stretching as much as he could without putting himself in more pain. I sighed, Jeet wasn't one to plan anything, just want head first into war.

"I'll take some of your men and some of mine on the rig, they can handle the weapons, you can take the second rig and Ariadne can take the third, Max... Well you can take a rig if you want but-"

"I want my car" he cut me off.

"well, you and should go do as much work as you can to it right now, instal weapons, armor" Max nodded, looking over at Phoenix and the both of them walked into the garage. Jeet placed his hand on my shoulder, being as supportive as he could.

"He'd a dead man, Furiosa" and Jeet was off to ready his crew and war rig. I sat alone, running my hand down my face, I prayed that we would make it through another road war, I almost died in the last one. Ariadne descended down the stairs, looking around but taking a seat in front of me. She looked at me, long and hard, and I tried to read her thoughts, but she could block me out when she wanted to.

"If anything happens to me out there..." I started looking at Ariadne's hands, folded gently on the table "you make sure that you kill that son of a bitch and bring as many people back as you can" Ariadne just stared at me, leaned over the table and kissed me gently.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you" she whispered, "now, let's go get the rigs ready"