Chapter 28: Harsh Memories

I watched Max as he was deep in thought. There was so much I wanted to know, but I knew he'd only tell me when he wanted. I sighed, and he turned to look at me, I guess he saw the distraught in my face.

"Whatcha thinkin?" He repeated my question making me laugh a little.

"Ah it's nothin" he didn't like that answer, so he just stared at me. I sighed again, playing with my fingers as I decided to let him in a little.

"Just thinking about my sister, she died from the night fevers, long before I met Aridane" Max looked down at his hands, nodding as if he understood the feeling. "Her name was Jessie and she was amazing" Max shot his head up immediately, and he started acting a little weird, he closed his eyes tightly and I could see him twitch like he was trying to subdue something. "You alright?" I asked, resting my hand gently on his shoulder but he stood up quickly. He stayed silent, standing by the side of my bed, I wondered if it had anything to do with what I said. I looked over at Ariadne, who looked like she was asleep.

I could hear him mumbling to himself. So even though the pain in my side made my whole body ache I got to my feet. I growled in pain taking a few steps towards Max, who's back faced me.

"No" Max spoke, his voice darker than before "lie down"

"Look at me" I spoke, he hesitated but he turned around to look at me. "What's going on?" He said nothing for a moment, but then reached into his pocket and pulled out something. He looked at it for a moment, then he handed it to me. It was the picture of the woman and the little boy I found back then. I looked at it, confused, but then understood when I flipped it over.

"Max, we miss you! Come home soon. - Jessie & Sprog" i read, I brought my hand to my face, feeling so stupid,

"I had no idea" his face was emotionless, and he gently took the picture back and put it in his pocket. "Max I'm so sorry" he shook his head, sitting back down on the bed, I sat next to him.

"I can hear them sometimes" he said, his voice low and emotionless. I leaned my head gently on Max's shoulder and this time he didn't move. I laced my arm into his, but I said nothing. Sometimes just his company was enough.