Finnick part 2

Peeta and I walk up to the screen. Finnick shows no signs of torture. Is he so loved by the Capitol that they will excuse him of his crimes?

     "So Finnick, welcome back." Ceaser says

     Finnick smiles. Not saying anything. I might not know him well, but I do know he was in on the plan to get Peeta and I out of the arena. He saved both of our lives. And I will never not owe him for it. And I hate it.

     "Why don't you tell us about the last night in the arena?" ask Ceaser. "Help us sort a few things out."

     Finnick nods and says "Well to understand about what happened, you need to understand how it felt in there. " He says. He puts on a smile when he says "I'm no Peeta Mellark, so I don't know how to really explain it, but I'll try" He says with a laugh. "Well in the arena, it was like being in a sauna. Steaming hot, everything warm. Including the water. You will never be dry there. The giant clock ticking your life away. You have to imagine that in 2 days, 16 people were killed, some you have killed or have been killed defending you." Finnick says. Peeta squeezes my hand in reassurance. No one has ever talked about what it's like to be in the arena, these people will never really know how it feels. Only victors do. Finnick continues, "At the rate things were going, the last eight would be dead by morning. Save one. The victor. Then even if you win and leave the arena, your mind doesn't. There will always be a part of you in there. " My body breaks out in a sweat at the memory. I can feel Peeta's hand start to sweat as well. But Finnick isn't done yet. "When you are in the arena, the rest of the world becomes distant. All the people and things you loved or cared about pretty much cease to exist. The jungle alive with monsters and tributes who want you dead become your final reality. And, as bad as it makes you feel, your going to have to kill. Because, in the arena, you only get one wish. And it's very costly."

     "It cost your life." says Ceaser. Peeta shakes his head. We both know what it cost.

     "No. It cost more than your life. To murder innocent people? That cost more than your life. It cost everything you are. And I'm sure my fellow victors agree."

     "Everything you are" Ceaser repeats quietly.

     A hush falls over the room, and I can feeling it spread across Panem. A nation leaning toward its screens. Because no one has ever talked about what it's really like to be in the arena.

     Finnick goes on. "So you hold onto that wish. That wish that you can make in home to your loved ones. Everything was to complicated." I can tell he is being careful on what he says. Since he was aware of the rebel plan, he can be tortured for information. He is trying to convince everyone he didn't know about the plan.

     "Since we were allies, I went looking for Katniss and Johanna when the wire was cut. Everything went insane. Then, I was running back to the lightning tree, to see if anyone was there besides Beetee, because Peeta took off in search of Katniss, when the lightning bolt hit the tree, and the forcefield blew out." Finnick says.

     "Katniss blew it out, Finnick. And Peeta was beside her." Ceaser says. "You've seen the footage"

     "She didn't know what she was doing. And everyone knows that they won't leave each others side unless they have to. They love each other to much. None of us could follow Beetee's plan. You can see her trying to figure out what to do with that coil of wire." Finnick says standing up. Angry. Why is he trying to defend us? It's my fault he is in the Capitol.

     "Alright. It just looks suspicious." says Ceaser. "Like they were apart of the rebel plan all along."

     Finnick is leaning toward Ceaser. "Really? Was it part of the plan for the electic shock to almost paralyze them? To trigger the bombing to their home?!" Finnick is yelling now and it surprises both Peeta and I. Why is he so upset? He should hate me. "Katniss didn't know and neither did Peeta! All we knew is that we were trying to stay alive!" Ceaser places a hand on Finnick's chest in a gesture that's both self-protective and as a condolence. "Okay Finnick I believe you." says Ceaser.

     "Okay." Is all Finnick says. Ceaser removes his hand and Finnick sits down.

     "We can stop now if you like" says Ceaser.

     "Was there more to discuss?" ask Finnick.

     "was going to ask your thoughts on the war, but if your to upset...." begins Ceaser.

     "Oh, I'm not too upset to answer that." Finnick takes a deep breath and look straight into the camera.

"I want everyone who's watching-Whether you are fighting with the Capitol or Districts-to stop for just a minute and thin about what a war could mean. For us humans. We almost went extinct fighting each other before. Now our numbers are even fewer. Or conditions aren't that good. Is this really what we want to do? Kill our selves off in hopes that some new decent species will inherent what's left of our world?"

"I don't really....I'm not sure I'm following....." says Ceaser.

"We can't fight each other, Ceaser. There won't be enough of us to keep going." Finnick explains. "If everyone doesn't lay down their weapons- and I mean very soon-Its all over anyway."

"So.....your calling for a cease-fire?" Ceaser ask.

Finnick rubs his eye and says tiredly, "Yes. I'm calling for a cease-fire. Now why don't we ask the guards to take me back to my quarters so I can build another hundred card house."

Ceaser turn to the camera. "All right. I think that wraps it up. So back to our regularly scheduled programing."

Music plays them out, and then there is a women reading a list of expected shortages in the Capitol-fresh fruit, solar batteries, soap. Peeta and I watch her with uncharacteristic absorption because I know everyone will be waiting for our reactions. But there is no way I can process it all this quickly. The shock of seeing Finnick alive and unharmed, his defense of our innocence in collaborating with the rebels, and his undeniable complicity with the Capitol now that he has called for a cease-fire.

Sorry for not updating yesterday! It was my brother's birthday and I had school work, but I hope this long chapter makes up for it!