District 12

I walk around District 12, or what's left of it anyway. Peeta stands beside me, looking around in as much shock as I am. It took a lot of convincing but finally Plutarch threw his hands up in the air and said "Let them go" They didn't want Peeta and I to see it and now I see why. They don't want there "Mockingjay" more broken than she already is.

"Oh my gosh" I say under my breath. There are ashes everywhere. Along with bones and decomposing bodies. The Justice building is in ruins as well as the mayors house. Madge. The one that gave me the pin. Which gave me my name. No one has seen her or her family since the bombing. The Undersee's are dead. Because of me. I see Peeta walk over to where the bakery is, or was, and I follow right behind him. Peeta just looks down at the ashes of his former home. I can see the tears start to form in his eyes. "I'm so sorry Peeta." I say. Peeta just shakes his head. "It's not your fault Katniss. It's Snow's." Peeta says as he tries to dry his tears. I know him and his dad were really close, along with his brothers. "Do you want to see if we can find anything salvageable?" I ask him. I still blame myself for the bombing. It's my fault the war started. It was my arrow that triggered the bombing. It's my fault District 12 is gone. I feel a tear fall down my face and Peeta comes up and hugs me. "Katniss I know you blame yourself for this but it's not your fault." He try's to tell me. He jut lost his whole family and he is comforting me. I shake my head. "I should have just eaten those berries in the arena." I whisper still crying. "Then your family and district 12 wouldn't be gone."

     "Katniss please don't blame yourself. Why don't we try to find some salvageable stuff around the district too." Peeta says. "Okay." I say trying to dry my tears.

After about 30 minutes of looking all we could find was a frying pan, a picture frame, and an apron from Peeta's bakery. We take the stuff and as we walk towards the Victors Village, we try to spot some stuff that could be salvaged. We weren't to successful. We ended up only finding a beaten down old stuffed rabbit, which we take in case its owner is alive back in 13 and some kitchen utensils along with a old dirty bracelet. We keep all of it to take back for the people in hopes the owners will be there to claim it. As we reach the place my house in the Seam use to be, I break down. This was my home. Even after Peeta and I won our first games and moved to Victors Village, it still was.  "It's all my fault." I whisper.  Peeta hears me and says "Katniss, please stop blaming yourself.  It's not your fault. "
     "Yes it is Peeta!  Almost all of our district is gone and it's all my fault!!"  I cry.  I hate feeling this vulnerable.  Even if it is just Peeta here to see me.  Once again Peeta try's to comfort me. He should hate me.  I killed his family.  I'm the reason we are in this whole mess.  "I'm sorry I can't be strong for you Peeta.  You just lost your whole family and you're having to comfort me." I say. "Katniss, you have been strong for so long. It's okay to cry.  It just means that you've been strong for too long." He says wrapping his arms around me.  "Then why are you trying to be strong for me and not crying?" I ask.  "Because I didn't want you to see me like that." He says, his voice quivering. "You can cry Peeta. Remember what you just said to me."  I say trying to comfort him for once. He puts his head on my shoulder, wetting my district 13 jumpsuit with tears. I do the same.  After we have cried for about 5 minutes, Peeta says "Lets go to Victor's Village and get some stuff from our houses."  I nod in agreement.

     After walking into the untouched Victors Village, Peeta and I agree to get some stuff from our houses and meet out front.

     When I walk into my house, I notice everything is how I left it.  It looks as if someone still lives here.  I get some medicine from my mothers herb cabinet in the kitchen, then walk upstairs to my bedroom where my fathers' old hunting jacket lays.  I put the jacket on and feel a little bit of comfort.  I slip on my worn hunting boots and thank God that I thought to bring them here from my old house in the Seam so that, when I died in the arena, it might bring some comfort to my family along with the jacket. If I didn't they would be long gone.  Added to the pile of ashes from my childhood.  I walk to Prim's room and grab some ribbons for her hair, then to study to grab my parents wedding photo and the Plant book when I hear something rattle behind me.  After being in two Hunger Games, I reflexively wipe around, ready to face my attacker. But there isn't one. Instead sits the world's ugliest cat. Buttercup.  "Almost all of 12's population is dead but some how you survived." I say to him.  I walk over to him to pick him up, when he hisses. I just roll my eyes. "Why couldn't you have been in Lady's place?"  Lady is, or was, Prim's pet goat.  She hasn't been seen so she is most likely dead.  Just like everyone else.  But here he is, alive and even looks well fed.  He must have been feasting on field mice.  I refuse to consider the alternative.  "You want to see Prim?" I ask. His ears perk up at her name.  I grab my hunting bag and stuff him in it, ignoring his hisses of protest.  After I pick up the wedding photo and Plant book I came to get, I stuff them in my bag.  Then I see it.  In the center of long gone flowers, it sits.  It's unnatural scent making me gag.  A perfect white rose.