Winner Takes It All

Summer lasted what felt like 5 seconds in Chloe's mind. Fiona had disappeared after the lake house trip. Their agreement to be friends again seemed to have fell through, at least for the moment. It bothered Chloe, not hearing from her at all. But it was honestly good for Chloe because she felt that magnetic pull towards Fiona start to dim. Her days of feeling like shit because Fiona didn't give her attention were gone. She was starting to feel like herself again.

Chloe had spent most of her time with Laurel or working at her job as a lifeguard at the local pool. Laurel would visit the pool and scope out girls for Chloe to potentially hit on. Laurel was convinced Chloe needed to find somebody else, that another hot girl would be the nail in the coffin to what were her feelings towards Fiona. She tried, but nothing ever stuck or felt right. Laurel was convinced Chloe was over thinking it. Maybe she was.

"This is exactly what I mean when I say you are broody." Laurel said. They were in her car, Chloe in the passenger seat staring out the window. It was the last Friday before summer and they were on their way to a party.

"Huh?" Chloe asked. Laurel rolled her eyes.

"You better not be brooding over Fiona." Laurel said. She would make comments like this from time to time. Laurel was never gentle when asking about her feelings towards what others might see to be sensitive topics. It was something Chloe liked about Laurel, she didn't beat around the bush. But lately it had started to piss her off because it was happening more frequently. At first Chloe justified it by convincing herself Laurel was only using the questions to try and gage where Chloe was at in her process of "healing". But now it almost seemed like Laurel was convinced Chloe was still pining. Chloe wasn't pining. She was just not ready to see other people and be vulnerable. So what? She didn't even think about Fiona all that much. Except when she was about to fall asleep or staring out windows or anytime her mind was quiet.

"I'm not brooding over Fiona." Chloe mumbled.

"That was real believable." Laurel chuckled. Chloe felt a flash of anger. It snuck up on her.

"Could you just cut it with the Fiona crap. I don't want to talk about it anymore." Chloe said with her voice raised. She didn't mean to. Laurel looked at her shocked, Chloe had never raised her voice at her before. "Sorry L I didn't mean to yell. That sort of just came over me."

"Jesus I'm sorry I guess I struck a nerve." Laurel laughed it off as they turned onto the street of the party location. Cars already lined the street and it was clear that some sort of function was occurring at the end of the street. Chloe didn't know who was going to be there, Laurel had begged her to go along. She figured that with summer ending she might as well get out of the house and do something that wasn't work related.
When they walked in they spotted Emily and Wren right away. Chloe sort of figured they see them. Chloe smiled and wrapped both her arms around them. She loved those two. She hadn't seen them all the much since the lake.

"Woah woah woah Chloe Mitchell out of the house?!" Wren exclaimed.

"How the hell did you get her here L?" Emily teased. Chloe rolled her eyes and laughed.

"I practically forced her." Laurel responded. Chloe opened her mouth to protest but Laurel was telling the truth. The two girls laughed and lead Chloe to get a drink, some light beer in a red solo cup. Chloe didn't complain.

The house was packed to the brim with teenagers, some Chloe could swear she had never seen before in her life. Chloe typically never got super into these parties and preferred to drink and people watch. Her friends being there helped, Laurel was off socializing with literally anyone she could find but Wren and Emily kept Chloe occupied. Wren had declared a rematch from the lake in the form of pong. Chloe could not deny. If there was one thing Chloe liked about parties it was pong. Her first turn she made three cups, eliciting a groan from the other side of the table.