Zoo

For Chloe, high school sucked. She had compiled a whole list of why she thought so.
1. stupid popular kids
2. math homework
3. being gay
4. Principal Werthers
5. being in love with best friend
Although Principal Werthers was always on her ass about being late or skipping class, Chloe considered her gayness and being in love with her best friend Fiona among the top reasons why her high school experienced sucked.
Fiona was everything to her. They had met in the fifth grade and Chloe had been enamored with her since the start. Things got confusing once Chloe started to realize she was gay and also that the way Fiona acted with her was different from her other friends. Besides the expressive touchy feelyness of Fiona, the energy between them always confused Chloe. She never knew if Fiona was being friendly or if she was trying to make a move. Chloe was always too afraid to initiate anything other than snuggling or holding hands and was left in limbo until this very moment.
Fiona had recently started hanging out with a girl named Kirsten who was in their friend group. Chloe had seen less of Fiona and was starting to get jealous. The sight of them laughing down the hallway made her sick. She had decided to pretty much ignore Fiona all together, just to see if she ended up doing anything about it. So far, Chloe's plan had been unsuccessful.
It was a Friday and school was officially done for the day. Chloe had met her friends, Emily, Laurel and Wren at her locker. Usually, Fiona and Kirsten would join them, but they were down at Kirsten's locker clearly flirting.

"The sight of them actually hurts my eyeballs." Chloe scoffed. The four of them were all actively staring. Chloe felt disgusted and jealous and sad and all the emotions in between.

"It legitimately doesn't make any sense." Laurel said, her head was cocked to the side and her eye browns were furrowed. Laurel was clearly pissed. Laurel was probably Chloe's bestfriend. She was the first to know about Chloe being gay and the first to know Chloe liked Fiona. Laurel had been trying to weasel information out of Fiona for months to try and give Chloe a better idea of where her head was at but had been unsuccessful. The Fiona and Kirsten thing sort of just came out of nowhere. Chloe was done looking at them and decided she needed to do something to get her mind off of things.

"My dear friends." She said, addressing her friends. "Let's go to the zoo."

"The zoo?" Wren questioned, sort of laughing and unsure if Chloe was being serious.

"Yes! They just got penguins."

"I don't see why we shouldn't." Emily responded. Laurel seemed indifferent, it was Wren who needed the convincing. Chloe gave her puppy eyes and finally got her to break.

"Fuck it, let's go to the zoo." Wren said rolling her eyes. Chloe jumped for joy and grabbed her things. They were just about to leave when someone started calling their names. Chloe turned around and of course it was fucking Fiona. Kirsten has seemed to be no where in slight, which was strange but Chloe was not complaining.

"Are y'all doing something?" Fiona asked. She looked pretty which didn't help the fact that Chloe  was supposed to be ignoring her. She could help but stare into her green eyes, which were looking at her so softly Chloe could melt.

"We had just agreed to go to the zoo." Emily said. She was too nice and was clearly not filled in on the fact that we were supposed to be ignoring them.

"Oh can we come?" Fiona asked sweetly. Again, she was looking at Chloe so softly it was hard for her to stick to her guns. She could feel Wren and Laurel staring at her, pleading not to give in. But if Chloe was one thing it was a simp.

"I don't see why not? I've got room in the truck." Chloe responded. She could feel her friends almost boo her for allowing Fiona to tag along.

Chloe drove the girls in her truck, Fiona sat shotgun. The drive to the zoo was filled mostly with the sounds of music and singing. Chloe was already getting weird vibes from Fiona. Their hands always brushed when Chloe rested her right arm on the center console, almost like Fiona was doing it on purpose. Again, Chloe was confused as hell. What was with the mixed signals? She had no idea. She didn't have enough time to really consider it because they had arrived at the zoo.