Front Step

It had been a week since Fiona had kissed Chloe at the top of the treehouse slide at the zoo. It was all Chloe could think about. She felt guilty knowing that Fiona was sort of involved with Kirsten but she also felt really fucking great. It was everything she had been dreaming of. She was also frustrated because she didn't understand why it had to be so hard. If Fiona liked her why didn't she tell her? She needed to talk about it with someone. She had promised herself to keep it to herself just to make sure Kirsten didn't find out. But it was starting to become too much, so she called Laurel.

"Hey C, what's up." She said. Chloe took a deep breath and sighed.

"I need to tell you something." Chloe responded. Laurel stayed silent, which meant she was either intently listening or anxious about what Chloe was about to say. "Fiona kissed me at the zoo last week."

"Yeah I fucking know." Laurel said nonchalantly. Laurel knew? How? Why? Chloe was confused and already overwhelmed.

"What? How?"

"Fiona told me almost immediately. She was like freaking out." Laurel said. Fiona? Chloe never would have guessed Fiona would go and tell anyone let alone Laurel about what had happened. Chloe would have thought she'd want to keep that a secret. Clearly not.

"Did she regret it?" Chloe asked after a silence. It was an insecure question. Chloe sort of hoped the answer was yes because then she could move on. If it was no...that was another story. Laurel sighed. 

"No, that's exactly why she was freaking out." Laurel responded. Chloe's heart pounded, she didn't regret it.. she liked it. "Chloe, I...I think you should be careful."

"Careful?" Chloe exclaimed. "We're literally talking about Fiona." Chloe was a little taken aback by Laurel's statement. Chloe had never thought Fiona had nothing but her best interest at heart. Before whatever was going on right now, they were friends, best friends.

"Yeah I know but I don't think she's considering how this is affecting you." she responded.

"What do you mean?"

"She's not considering the fact that you're in love with her. Or she doesn't think that you are. Honestly, I'm not sure but I think she's just gonna end up choosing Kirsten." Laurel stammered. Chloe didn't know what to think. She trusted Laurel and valued her opinion. But she was also blinded by all things Fiona. She couldn't make a decision yet. She couldn't decide how to feel especially without talking to Fiona first.

"I appreciate you looking out for me." Chloe said.

"Yeah no I will always do that." She said distantly. Laurel knew Chloe too well. "What are you up to tonight?"

"Um nothing?" Chloe said. She was honestly relieved by the subject change. She didn't want to talk about Fiona anymore.

"Why don't you come over and stay the night. We can watch a movie or something." Laurel suggested. Chloe smiled.

"I love that idea."

-
When Chloe arrived at Laurel's she expected it to be only the two of them. But sitting at Laurel's kitchen table when Chloe arrived was Fiona and Kirsten. Laurel looked pissed off, like they had showed up unannounced or told her something she didn't want to hear. The awkwardness in the air was almost alarming to Chloe.

"Hey guys..." Chloe said tentatively, afraid she was barging in on a conversation. The three of them turned to look at her, Fiona looked scared and Kirsten looked smug. Chloe's stomach dropped.

"Perfect timing! Why don't you tell Chloe what you just proudly announced to me seconds ago Fiona!" Laurel exclaimed. Chloe knew what was coming now. Laurel's face and tone was enough to indicate it. Fiona looked like she was going to puke, it made Chloe sick.

"Laurel I don't know if now's the time..." Fiona said quietly.

"No nows perfect. Go ahead and tell Chloe to her face." Laurel responded. Chloe knew she was sticking up for her but she didn't exactly enjoy her doing it right in front of her. Fiona sat quietly and Kirsten looked like she was about to answer for her. Chloe couldn't bear to hear it come out of her mouth.

"You know what I think understand what's going on here." Chloe spoke, she looked straight at Fiona who looked guilty as hell. "I'm just gonna go." Chloe could feel the emotion bubble up through her throat. She really did need to leave before any of them saw her cry. Laurel was about to say something before Chloe retreated to the door. She couldn't hold her tears in any longer once the door slammed behind her. She wasn't typically a crier but what Fiona was doing to her really fucking hurt. She cried, she cried on Laurel's front door step as she heard shouting from inside. Mostly from Laurel, she thought she could even heard Fiona cry.
Chloe wasn't sure why she sat there for as long as she did. She just didn't feel ready to get back into her car and drive home. It wasn't long before she saw Kirsten escorting Fiona out of the house, screaming still occurring, this time from both Fiona and Laurel. It honestly made Chloe chuckle because she had never seen Fiona angry like that. She was also concerned as to what was said that made the two of them THAT angry. Once they were gone Laurel came over and sat next to Chloe.

She took a deep breath and ran her fingers through her hair. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, no, yes, I don't know." Chloe responded. It was an honest response, she didn't know how she felt. It was was all just a shock. They sat in silence awhile. Chloe truly did contemplate Laurel's questioned and after some time settled on the idea that she was decently heartbroken at least. Then, she remembered the fight. "Hey what the fuck happened in there?"

"Well.." Laurel sighed. "I kinda slapped her."

"YOU WHAT?"

"I slapped her because she called me some name and acted like she wasn't in the wrong. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have but she slapped me back so I think we're even." Laurel said. Chloe was in utter shock but at the same time thought that it was the funniest thing she had ever heard. She felt like they were in some sort of movie.

"Holy shit." Chloe laughed.

"Yeah. Holy shit is right." Laurel laughed back.

They sat on the front step for who knows how long until finally Chloe decided she needed to go home. She wondered what things would be like in the next few days. She wondered if her heart would ever recover.

—————————————————————————
I changed this one a little, hope you don't mind!