Chapter twenty: 3 months later

It's been three months since Thane died. It still doesn't seem real. Some mornings I'll wake up, still groggy from sleep, and I'll lie there for only a few seconds in blissful peace, having forgotten that he died that day. When I finally realise, my whole body goes back to being in that numb state I like to dwell in. It makes it easier to ignore the hand that clenches and unclenches around my heart. Even though I hate those people who took Thane away from me, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. Cyan needs me more than ever now.
By the time the helicopter got to Cyan, he was passed out in a puddle of his own puke and urine, and he had a almost fatal case of sepsis. That's what the doctors called it anyway, but the more basic term for it is blood poisoning. It had spread all the way up his shin and it had almost completely covered his thigh. The medic who was on the helicopter with Cyan said that the sepsis was to far along and antibiotics couldn't treat it anymore. I knew what this meant of course, this was my fear right from the start. That Cyan would have to lose his leg. They took him straight into surgery as soon as I gave the green light. They couldn't ask him because he was unconscious, from the cocktail of drugs they gave him on the helicopter.
He cried for weeks after the surgery, he still cries even now. I can't blame him though, it would suck to lose your leg in general, let alone to lose your leg in a place like this, where you need to be able to hunt to survive.
He may not be able to hunt anymore but I'll always look after him. He is all I have left after all.

Our old, little pick up truck stutters to a stop in front of the old peoples home where Cyan does his therapy, both mental and physical. The automatic doors slide open with a beep and I walk through and into the, what the elders call it, the room to get your jiggy on. In other words the room where they dance and do there old people exercises.
"Oh hello! How are you dear?"
I smile at Mrs Price, a nice, old widowed lady who greets me whenever I come to pick up Cyan.
"Morning Mrs Price, I'm doing okay thanks."
"How many times have I told you to call me Judith? Oh well, we'll get there one day."
I smile and wave at a couple of seniors I vaguely recognise down the hall.
"Cyan's doing much better today by the way, he even managed to walk a few steps. Those prosthetic things actually do work, it turns out."
"Really!?" I say completely ecstatic.
"Oh yes! Go ask him yourself! He's very proud of himself."
"I will, thanks Mrs Price!"
I run down the hall and stop at the door that has the piece of paper taped to the glass, with blue permanent marker writing, saying, "The rehabilitation centre for people with one leg." A little joke we came up with to make light of the situation.
I open the door and as soon as Cyan see me he grabs hold of his cane and struggles into a standing position, before slowly hobbling toward me. I walk into the room, closing the door behind me and I watch with, no doubt, a goofy smile on my face.
He finally reaches me and I support his weight as he catches his breath.
"I'm so glad Cyan."
"Me too." He laughs, still huffing and puffing.
"Maybe I can help you with the hunting one day!?"
A sad smile curls on my lips, "Yeah...... Maybe."

Cyan and I walk at a snails pace to the truck. I brung his wheel chair, but he insists on walking and what can I do?
"Have a good day you two!"
"Thanks Mrs Price."
"Thanks Judith." Cyan and I say at the same time.
"Look after him Drea. He's just starting to walk, that's when they start getting into the most mischief." She says like he's a toddler learning how to walk.
"I will. Don't worry."

We finally reach the truck and I carefully help Cyan in, before getting in on the drivers side.
We drive in silence for a few seconds before he speaks, "Thanks for putting up with me Drea...... I know it can't be easy. It probably would have been easier for you if I had died. At least you would have had a chance at a normal life."
I basically slam on the breaks before pulling off onto the side of the road.
"Hey, don't say shit like that! I would have been destroyed if you had died! I would have been completely alone in this world without you Cyan!"
A tear slips down his cheek and he quickly shoves it away.
"I will take care of you until I die Cyan, you're my brother and I love you okay!?"
"Okay." He says grudgingly, kind of like a kid that's just been scolded.
A few seconds goes by before he speaks again.
"You're the only person who can take care of me anyway, so you're stuck with me now." He says playfully.
I play along and let a cheeky smile light my face.
"I'm okay with that."