Chapter fifteen: Boyish Charms

Dim grey light slowly replaces the darkness of the night telling me it's finally morning. I silently rejoice at this fact, "Finally." I whisper in exhaustion.

I got maybe a couple of hours sleep at the most, between the thrashing cold wind whipping ice and snow all over my face and the panic at thinking Thane might die, I just didn't have time to worry about trivial things such as sleep.
My arm is still wrapped around Thanes stomach like I'm trying to keep him warm. I know Thane's fine now, I know he's warm enough, but I don't pull my arm away, instead I snuggle in closer, leaning my head against his back.
It's still snowing but nowhere near as bad as the night before. We need to go soon, we need to get home. We have next to know water left and our food supply is non-existent.
My eyelids drift closed, I'll just let Thane sleep for a few more minutes.

My eyes flutter open and I immediately know I slept much longer than I meant to. The sun is already high in the sky, it's maybe around mid-day.
My gaze connects with Thanes hazel orbs, a mesmerizing mixture of emerald green and chestnut brown. His hair is disheveled and messy with snowflakes mixed among the tangles.
We stare at each other in silence, me revelling in the fact that he's not dead and him...... Well I'm not sure what he's doing.
"You're finally awake." He whispers quietly.
"I could say the same to you."
He arches his eyebrows playfully "Oh really......" His eyes light up like he just remembered something he needs to tell me immediately and the side of his lip quirks up in a smug smile, "Ya know........." He draws the words out and I know something's coming "if you wanted me to take my clothes off you could have just asked politely."
My face flushes, first from embarrassment and then from anger.
I saved his life no more twenty-four hours ago and that's the thanks I get. Asshole.
I stumble out of the sleeping bag, at his high protest which makes me feel a bit better, but I'm still pissed.
I pick up a handful of snow and slowly shape it into a nice, solid snowball, so he can see what I'm doing.
His eyes visually go larger as he realises what I'm about to do, "Come on Drea, it was just a joke." He flashes a innocent smile as he tries to plead with me.
"I shall not be swayed by your boyish charms." I bite my lip and throw my perfect ball of snow as hard as I can in the direction of his face. It hits him in the shoulder and explodes in a puff of white.
"Lucky for you I never had very good aim." I mumble a bit disappointed.
He stands up, still encased in the cherry red sleeping bag, "Lucky for me you're not very strong either."
He wobbles in the sleeping bag like he's unsteady on his feet and I take the perfect opportunity. I lunge at him, tackling him into the snow. A shocked "omph" sound escapes him as I land on top of him. I scoop up handfuls of snow and shove them in his face, on his chest, in his hair, just about anywhere I can get him.
"Stop Drea! Hey, that's damn cold!"
I slam another handful of snow, this time hitting him square in the jaw.
He spits some snow out of his mouth making me giggle.
"It's on now." He grabs both my wrists in his hands and flips me over so fast I have no time to react.
I glare up at him for minutes on end and he smiles down at me. The green in his eyes looks like it's glowing and squirm uncomfortably under his intense gaze.
He seems a little surprised at my reaction, his eyebrows furrow and his stare goes from playful to serious in a split second. He leans down and my breath hitches and my heart starts pounding a thousand miles per hour. I close my eyes and I can feel the soft caress of his breath on my lips.
I want him to kiss me.
The thought flicks through my head shocking me out of my daze.
My eyes snap open and I yank my wrists free from his grip. He pulls away from me looking hurt.
"Thane, I just....."
"It's cool" he says cutting me off "I get it."
He steps out of the sleeping bag and walks over to his pile of snow covered clothes and roughly shakes them off.
"No Thane, I...."
"I'm gonna go get some firewood to dry my clothes." He says gruffly once again cutting me off.
He walks off into the forest in nothing but his boxers.
When he disappears from sight I crouch down, covering my face with my hands.
I'm such an idiot.