Chapter eleven: Cyan

The first rays of dawn peek through the cave entrance pouring pure relief through every cell in my body.
I adjust the sticks on my leg trying to get more comfortable as my eyelids start to droop with fatigue.
With every bit of light that blooms through the tiny opening in the cave my heart rate descends until it's back to its normal speed.

Throughout the whole twelve hours of darkness I didn't get one minute of shut eye.
Between the growls and yelps of predators catching their prey, the freezing, cold temperature, and the throbbing, aching pain in my leg, there wasn't a a second, let alone a minute for even the thought of sleep.
I stare at the beautiful, golden strips of warmth that filter and cleanse the darkness.
They highlight the menacing, grey ashes from the fire Drea had made that first night in the cave.
The sun warms me slightly, but even so I still yearn for the comforting heat only a fire can give me.
A shiver raises goose bumps on my skin as I remember the subzero temperature of last night.
The numbing cold was almost worse than the burning in my shin.
I glance down at the mostly empty pack of painkillers Drea gave me before she left.
Despite agreeing to her words about making them last, there's only three left. 'This is what drug users going through rehab must feel like' I inwardly groan.
I gingerly sit up and pull back the blood soaked sleeping bag over my injured leg.
The sight that greets me is just as horrific as when I checked it last evening.
Except the blood finally stopped. That's one positive aspect I guess.

If it was freezing for me last night, Drea must be damn near hypothermic without having shelter.
I bite down hard on my tongue and squeeze my eyes closed as sickening thoughts flash across the backs of my eyelids.
The thought of the only sane, living family I have left, curled up in her sleeping bag, dead or dying from hypothermia, makes my stomach churn and my eyes water.
Convulsions and shivers rack my body as I think about her skin the same temperature as the snow and the hint of blue that tinges her dead lips.
I scurry over to the mouth of the cave and collapse onto the snow that leaks just slightly into the mouth.
My shin burns with the strain of moving so quickly, but the warmth of the sun quickly makes up for it.
The shivering convulsions of my body are quickly subdued to nothing more than the slight twitching of my fingers. "She's fine" I whisper. "She's fine."

I can feel sleep upon me, seconds away from carrying me into sweet oblivion.
'The meadow looks so beautiful' I think in a sleepy daze.
Steam rises from the snow making its temperature look the exact opposite of what it actually is.
An elk sniffs at the snow in the near distance, its antlers wide and humongous in all it's fine glory.
It's strong lean muscles flex and stiffen with every slight movement and its short, golden-brown fur glints in the sun.
I smile as I think of the expression Drea would have on her face if she was here, watching this with me.
A gaze of pure excitement and wonder would light her face followed by the intense concentration and the crease between her brow she gets while aiming Mackenzie.

It reminds me of her in a way.
Of how strong and confident it looks, even it's golden fur reminds me of her blonde locks.
I catch a blur of movement in the corner of my eye and my eyes snap open in shock.
I have to slam my hand over my mouth to keep myself from screaming out Drea's name.
Terrified grunts and shrieks rip from the elks throat as sharp white teeth clamp down over its pulsing throat.
Tears run down my face and into the the crevices in either side of my lips as I watch the life leave the animal that reminded me so much of my little sister.

For minutes on end I watch the mountain lion rip and maul at the flesh of the elk. I stare into its dead eyes and I have to keep reminding myself that it's not Drea.
The mountain lion backs away and starts slinking back toward the shadows of the forest, obviously done with its feast.
It licks at its snout, stained red with blood and bile rises in my throat.
That could have easily been Drea that that mountain lion was ripping and tearing at.
'She's out there unprotected and alone, fighting to get home for me. She's fighting to get home because of my stupid decision!' I silently scream. A loud sob shudders in my chest.
"Why didn't I make her take Mackenzie!" I sob into the silence.
I feel the elks dead eyes bore into me and finally I empty my stomach onto the sloping snow in the mouth of the cave.
"Im so sorry Drea."