Chapter Three

Dipper got into the back of the rented car - a small limo that Stan had found through someone who owed him a favor - next to Pacifica. He looked over at her before Mabel got in. She felt his gaze and glared back at him and mouthed, "Don't bring it up again." to him. He sighed and nodded as Mabel stepped in and told Stan, who was driving them there, to go ahead to pick up Kyle. Mabel talked non-stop on the way there trying to lighten up Dipper and Pacifica's moods, to no prevail.
She rolled her eyes, "Gosh, what's up with you guys?" She asked.
Pacifica just took a deep breath, not saying anything.
"Pacifica is just a bit annoyed with me, that's all." He said, looking over at Pacifica.
Pacifica glanced at him before looking away again.
Mabel sighed. "Well, you two will be lots of fun," She said, crossing her arms but smiled when she saw they were at Kyle's house, smiling even wider when he stepped into the car. "Hey!" She said and scooted over to let him sit by her.
"Hey," He replied, sitting down and smiling at everyone. "What's wrong with them?" He asked Mabel, gesturing to the other two.
"They won't really tell me," She said, glaring at Dipper.
Dipper rolled his eyes and just looked out the window as they made their way to the school.

Pacifica quickly got out of the car once they were at the school, eager to escape the tension between Dipper and herself. Mabel stepped out next, then Dipper, then Kyle. Dipper walked over to her and reached his arm out to her. She stared at him a moment before taking his arm and walking in with the other two. They walked in to hear the music already playing, the room looking like most of the people were already here. Pacifica let go of Dipper's arm and walked over by the wall, leaning back and watching the others dancing and eating, above all enjoying themselves while she just stood there, uncomfortable and bored out of her mind, unusual for her at dances. She noticed Dipper walking over and standing next to her. "Pacifica... I'm not asking you to now, but please, will you eventually tell me what's up?" He asked her.
Pacifica looked over at him and sighed. "Maybe. But probably not soon." She said.
"Good enough for me," He told her. "Wanna dance?" He asked as a slower song came on, sensing she wouldn't want to otherwise.
"Sure," She said and took his hand as he lead her to the floor. He placed a hand lightly against her back, where he remembered the bruise being and looked down at her.
She moved her hand to his shoulder and looked up at him. "Dipper..." She whispered. "Please, forget about it."
"What? I didn't say anything," He said as he continued the dance.
She took a deep breath. "Yeah, but you were thinking about it," She told him.
"Not denying that," He said.
"Dipper, it's not your place to get into this," She said with an exasperated sigh.
He stared down at her scowling. "And you're just going to let them do this?" He asked, in a quick whisper.
"What choice do I have? If I try to do anything it will just make it worse. And if they get caught? We're filthy rich and as horrible of a truth it is, it's the truth, that fixes problems for people like us," She told him as the song ended and she pulled away from him, walking back over to where Mabel was talking with some friends.

Dipper stared at her as she walked away, shaking his head at her, not believing that Pacifica Northwest would allow something like that to happen to her and not do something about it. He'd get her to let him help, but that would take time and he decided to let them both enjoy the night before bringing that up again.