Chapter V

I'M SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I'LL TRY TO DO THIS EVERY COUPLE WEEKS OR SO NOW FOR REAL THIS TIME.
But also, how would you guys feel about this turning into a Pernico story..? (And don't do that crap where you say "whatever YOU want to do" because I really want your honest opinion like really I'm just considering it) (And really, I'd rather you tell me no than just leave 😂)
_______________________

"Now, you're coming out here with me," Hazel ordered her brother maybe twenty minutes later.

"I know..." Nico said quietly, rubbing his eyes. "I have to apologize to Percy..."

Hazel seemed surprised by Nico's reaction. This, Nico thought, this is just proof that I need to stop running away from my problems and shutting myself away somewhere. If she's only known me for this long and knows I'm not one to face my problems, then something needs to change. I need to stop moping around all the time and actually deal with things, he vowed to himself.

Nico stood up and critically inspected his reflection in the mirror. His hair was darker than its natural shade of dark brown, thanks to his time in Tartarus, and his black eyes seemed to be hiding something. There were still tear tracks down his face, and, of course, the dark shadows under his eyes that existed because the nightmares that frequently plagued him had caused many a sleepless night.

Hazel walked up and gently rested her hand on his shoulder. Her golden eyes were still shimmering a bit with tears. She somehow looked older, too, Nico observed sadly. The stress has gotten to us all, hasn't it?

Nico blinked hard to focus himself. It was no use dwelling on his appearance, of all things.

"Okay," he declared quietly, taking a deep breath. "I'm going to go apologize to Percy. Gods know I need to. The poor guy just lost his-" He swallowed; he was done crying. "Annabeth, I mean. And then I..." Nico trailed off.

"Shh..," Hazel replied softly, gently wiping a tear off of her brother's face with her thumb. "I'm sure he'll understand."

Nico shook his head, but made his way over to the door. As he put his hand on the knob, he turned around to say, "Hey, I know you probably want to go find Frank right now, but don't forget about Leo, okay? He doesn't have anyone to talk to, and he's stuck piloting the ship..."

"I know..."

"Well, bye then..." Nico said awkwardly before opening the creaky oak-wood door and stepping out into the hallway. He immediately noticed the puddles of water throughout the hallway. It looked like it had been partially flooded.

Percy... He sighed and trudged down the hall, trying to avoid getting water on his shoes. He could hear fragments of a loud discussion going on in Piper's room as he walked by.

"-can't just-!"

"But you can't expect me to-"

Nico was tempted to stop and listen to Piper and Jason's argument, but let his better judgement win and ignored it.

These jeans look too baggy... Nico noticed absentmindedly as he stared down at the carpet. I don't get it though, they fit me a bit too tightly a couple months ago, and I haven't gotten any taller... There's no way I've lost that much weight, is there?

Finally, he reached Percy's door. One of the hinges looked broken, and it wasn't closed all the way because it looked like the latch was smashed in.

Nico lightly rapped his knuckles against the door. He was met with something banging up against the door like it had been thrown, and a loud, furious, "Go away!"

"Percy..." Nico said. Another thing crashed against the door.

"I'm coming in, Percy. Don't throw anything else," Nico said shakily.

A shattering sound inside was all he got in response.

Nico opened the door slowly, ready to dodge any object that might be hurled at him.

Percy was sitting up against the wall beneath a broken mirror, hugging his knees to his chest, his sword in his hand. He was surrounded by broken glass.

"I don't want to talk to you," he said hoarsely.

"Percy..." Nico mumbled as he surveyed the carnage of the room. There were some pretty deep scratches in several places in the wall, a drawer from the dresser had been ripped out and had ended up upside down on the floor, a blade of the ceiling fan had somehow ended up on top of the bundle of sheets on the bed, and then there were the things that Percy had thrown at the door, a doorknob and a framed picture, now with the glass all shattered.

Nico took a step forward.

"Don't," Percy growled, still not looking up. "Don't come a step closer or I swear to the gods I will run you through with this sword," he threatened, raising the object in question with his left hand.

"Percy, please. You aren't even holding it right. And besides, I came in here to apologize. I can't really do that if you stab me with your sword," Nico said in a weak attempt at humor.

"Go to Hell, di Angelo." Did Nico imagine it, or did the floor tremble?

Nico walked over and knelt down in front of the older boy as carefully as he could to avoid the glass on the floor.

"Now, Percy," Nico chastised quietly as he turned Percy's hands over so that he could critically inspect his palms. "Look what you've done to your hands. This is why you don't throw things."

"What do you recommend I do, then?" Percy demanded furiously, finally looking Nico in the face. Percy's normally emerald-colored eyes were the dark murky green of the bottom of the sea; They seemed almost hollow, like something had left them. There was a smear of dried blood on his cheek. Even his hair seemed darker, a colorless black instead of raven.

"What you're going to do," Nico replied, "is come with me so we can get you cleaned up. Got it?"

"I don't want to." Yes, the floor definitely shook that time.

"Please, Percy?" Nico pleaded.

"No," Percy repeated slowly.

"Percy..."

"N-O. End of story."

Nico took a deep breath to try and keep his temper in check. "You sound like a little kid, Percy. Stop it now. Come on, we're getting you to the infirmary for some bandages, now. No nectar, no ambrosia. You're healing the old-fashioned way."

He grabbed Percy's wrist and yanked on it. Percy shook his head.

"I'll go with you," he finally decided. "But in exchange for something."

_________________________

Meh, I thought the chapter was getting too long, so I just kinda ended it here. What I do next depends, I guess. Do you want a Percabeth story, or a Pernico story? Tell me? Please? Don't stay quiet pls I live for your comments and I need to know someone reads my author's notes. AND ONCE AGAIN, SORRY FOR THE LACK OF UPDATING. IM JUST SO BUSY BC BEING TRASH IS HARD WORK.