solo

"so when are we playing?" namjoon asked, setting his food down at our table.

"er.. we don't have a cellist, but we can start today i guess." i shrugged, picking at my food. "that reminds me, ariel, what did yuki say?"

"she wouldn't do it." ariel stabbed at her beef frustratedly. "neither would second, and third is a first year." i sighed.

"what do you play?" namjoon asked me, swallowing the food in his mouth. "i know ariel plays violin, since she's concertmaster."

"viola." he nods.

"then we don't even need a cello, right? i mean, we cover every clef; treble, alto, and bass."

"yeah but there's still that chunk of notes that are too low for misty and too high for you," ariel commented, and namjoon shrugged.

"just a suggestion."

the day passed by quickly, and i headed back into the orchestra room, where ariel, namjoon, and i had all scheduled to meet.

"the gang's all here," ariel said, taking a seat. i sat down next to her while namjoon unloaded his bass in the back.

"alright namjoon, let's see what you've got." he nodded, finishing off rosining his bow. the quiet room was soon filled with the deep resonating sound of his bass. i wouldn't call the bass a solo instrument, but namjoon somehow made it work, his graceful hands moving up and down the fingerboard.

ariel and i gave him a round of applause after, and he bowed dramatically. "that was amazing!" she exclaimed. "you're so in."

we went out for food after, as a welcome to namjoon. i think this was the start to a beautiful friendship.

::

these chapters suck lmao but i just wanted to get it out of the way
-hannah