28. A New Chapter

10 years later.

"Okay try it now!" Ravi yelled, from his desk, that was occupied by various machinery.

"Are you sure all the calculations are correct because I'm pretty sure-"

"Just get on with it!" I rolled my eyes, cutting off Hakyeon, who nervously handed a pill to one of our test subjects, who was a middle-aged man diagnosed with cancer.

"All his vitals are in check" Hongbin nodded, as he carefully checked if all the machinery were correctly attached to the patient.

"All systems ready to go" Hyuk gleamed, raising his thumb to Hakyeon.

Hakyeon handed the blue pill to the patient as the rest of us shuffled nervously, as the man washed down the pill with water, and lay back on the bed. The room fell silent as the man fell into a deep sleep, the only sound came from the life support machines that surrounded him.

I glanced over at Ravi, who bit his lip nervously as he watched the patient lay completely still on the bed. The heart monitor began to slowly drop rapidly as we watched the whereabouts of the serum that was placed in the pill.

"Is this supposed to happen ? This isn't supposed to happen! Its going to kill him...we need to wake him" Hakyeon panicked, and ran to the patient.

"No! Just wait..." Ravi ordered, his focus on the monitor.

"Ravi, its going to kill him" I yelled, also moving to the patients side, and checked the monitors nervously.

"Just one more minute...." Ravi whispered, as the rest of us turned to the monitor, each one of us sweating nervously.

Suddenly we heard the machine beep, the heart monitor was back to a steady heartbeat, and all his vitals were in check.

"it Worked....." Hongbin mumbled as he looked over at the progress monitor "GUYS, it worked!!!!!" He yelled again, grabbing Hyuk and hugging him tightly.

The rest of us gathered around the screen, and were completely blown away by what we had just achieved.

"The serum is dissolving the cancer cells!" Ravi exclaimed pointing at the screen "we removed it. This patient is officially cancer free".

Everyone in the room clapped their hands and yelled in unison. We were finally on our way to rid the world of this terrible disease and we did it as a family. I felt a pair of hands snake around me and a pair of soft lips graced my cheek.

"I heard we just made a medical breakthrough" Ken smiled, as he pulled me close to him "Is my wife going to be winning a nobel peace prize next?"

"I think kicking your ass in engineering and medicine is a better prize don't you think?" I smirked playfully.

Ken stuck out his tongue and hugged me once more.

"Where is he ?" I looked over Ken's shoulder.

"Upstairs getting ready for bed" Ken smiled, kissing me once more before I made my way up the wooden staircase.
I opened the door slightly and watched as my mother tried to get a pair of socks on a hyper active little boy.

"Ah here's your mother, I give up!" She sighed, handing me the socks as she made her way out "your son has all the energy you had as a kid, times four".

I laughed as she closed the door behind her. I made my way to the bed where he jumped up and down, a wide grin spread across his face.

"Eoumma!" He giggled.

"Little boys shouldnt be up this late" I smiled, tucking him into his warm bed, and placed a kiss on his forehead.

"But eoumma...! I can't sleep" he whined, as I stroked his dark tuft of hair.

"Do you want a bedtime story?" I said, lying down next to him, and pulled him into a hug.

"Yes please!!! The one about the robot man! Please!" He gleamed, his eyes sparkled as he spoke.

I carefully recited the story he enjoyed every night, and switched off the lampshade beside him. As I ended the story, I gave him another kiss on his head, and headed for the door.

"Goodnight eoumma..." He yawned.

I smiled and slowly closed the wooden door.

"Goodnight Taekwoon-ah"

•••••••••••••••