10. SoulMate

"Please.." I begged, kneeling over my foster mother. She was unconscious, I could barely hear her heartbeat.

"I told you to stay away from me" he smirked, his blood covered hand grabbed my throat, and with one quick movement, threw me across the room.

My head immediately impacted the wall and I became groggy. My vision blurred, and the last thing I saw was a dark figure crouching beside my mothers lifeless body.

I gasped and jolted up from my bed, wiping away the beads of sweat on my forehead. The nightmare about Leo and my mother, became more prominent, more vivid each night.

I rushed to the bathroom and threw a handful of water over my face, trying to wash away the memory. My sleeping patterns were out of control, the dark circles under my eyes made that known.

I quickly rushed over to the engineering lab, where the rest of the interns worked diligently on the first phase of the humanoids. I managed to find  Ken, who quietly sat in the corner, fiddling with a part of machinery.

"Hey you" I smiled, hoping he had recovered from the night before.

"Oh hey..." He mumbled, concentrating on the intricate wiring.

"You okay ?"

"Oh besides the fact, that I almost died by the hands of an evil psychopath humanoid, I'm good" he smiled cheekily, returning to his work.

I didnt expect him to joke around about the situation, Ken wasn't someone who was easy going, he stresses, a lot. I wondered if Ravi had anything to do with it.

"Have you been down there since it happened ?" He asked in a more serious tone.

"No I haven't " I lied.

Letting Ken know that I was inside the glass case with Leo, his potential murderer, wasn't something I thought should be spoken about. There was another good reason for it as well. I couldn't explain why I keep visiting either.

I worked hard on learning various things about the project. For my sake and for Leo and Ravi's sake. I wanted to help them make a difference. I wanted to know how I could fulfill Leo's request.

After a long day, I found myself torn between visiting Leo or staying in my bedroom. I thought about last night. The moment I shared with Leo was short lived. It did hurt, having him turn me down, but I knew he did it to protect me and himself.

I bit my nails and finally pulled out the access card. This was becoming an addiction. Leo was becoming a drug. I wanted more of him, and  already knowing the consequences didn't help. It was a magnetic pull, that I didn't have control over.

I breathed in deeply and entered the code. My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. The good, the bad and the scary. If I didn't find a way to cure my insomnia, I could possibly see myself without a job, without a life.

I shut the door behind me and fiddled with my cotton jersey, waiting for Leo to approach me. I let him be in charge of our interaction, mainly because I didn't want to be in the same position Ken was in.

"Hello" his angelic voice rang softly behind me.

I felt his hand on my back, slowly letting his fingers fall as he moved lower. I turned around and watched him reach for my hand, the sudden cold creeping up my skin. I felt like an inanimate object. His fascination with me grew each day, but I wondered if I was just a specimen to him, someone he was just merely studying because he was bored.

"You know we are way passed hand holding" I said sarcastically, watching his eyes move in unison with his actions.

"I like holding your hand" he groaned, focusing only on his hand in mine, studying the textures between us.

I rolled my eyes, becoming annoyed at his stubbornness.

"Do you even like me ? Or am I just here for you to study? I mean the lengths I've been through to be in here with you and you can't even look me in the eyes to speak to me" I sighed, releasing my hand from his hold.

"I can't even be mad at you, because I like you so much" I muttered under my breath and turned toward the steel door.

As I began to leave, I felt a light tug on my arm and suddenly there were a pair of soft lips on mine. All thoughts were clear and I felt alive again. My heart pounded so hard that my chest hurt.
Leo placed his hand behind my ear, intwining his fingers in the strands of my hair. His lips parted slowly, breathing softly into the kiss. I placed my hands on his defined chest as he slowly moved his free hand to the small of my back, squeezing me lightly. I'd never felt anything like it before. The passion was overriding everything else at this moment. I slowly opened my eyes as we parted, and was greeted by a pair of  brown eyes staring deeply back at me.

Leo slowly moved his hand from my hair to my chin, placing his thumb on my lower lip. He looked at it intensely, grazing it slightly before leaning in and placing another sweet kiss on my eager lips.

"Stay with me" he mumbled, continuing to trace his fingers along my neck and collarbone.

I hugged him. I never wanted to let him go. My face pressed against his cold metallic chest, as he slowly placed his arms around me.  His embrace was serenity. The thought of him being a killer, surpassed me. He was just a boy, stuck inside a machine trying to understand the world as much as they wanted to understand him.

I shut my eyes, and felt as if I were home.