19. Suspicion

Ken and I gave Ravi and Leo some time to be alone, they needed their own space, the kind of space that should never be interrupted. It was a gloomy day, and I watched as the raindrops fell against the window, slowly and beautifully.

"Your hair looks good when its pushed back" Ken said shyly, taking a seat next to me by the large window and handed me a cup of tea.

I smiled at him sweetly and took a sip, looking back outside, at the lifeless exterior of the company.

"Ever wondered what you would do if you didn't work here ? If you actually had a choice?" I asked, looking over at Ken.

"I don't know" he shrugged "I guess I never really thought about it".

"Do you like it here?"

Ken didn't answer, he looked at the concrete border that trapped us inside this establishment. The walls were high, you could barely see the horizon in the distant. I traced a few raindrops with my finger, deep in my own thoughts. I never wanted to live this way, but if I didn't oblige to move here, I would of never met Leo.

"We should runaway" I sighed deeply, concentrating on the sound of the rain.

"What?" He questioned, looking at me in confusion.

"You me Ravi and Leo, we should all just get out of this place and start a new life, work on our own terms, use our brains for good"

"You know that's impossible, they'll hunt us down" his voice shook, as he worried expression deepened.

"You won't know what's out there unless we try, all im saying is I've been thinking about it, and I kinda hoped you would come with me" I smiled, squeezing his hand.

"Ah! There you are! I'm guessing you wanna go back down? I wanna show Ken one of my own experiments, see if we can revive it" Ravi spoke, looking anxious rather than relieved.

"Hey everything's fine now right? Why do you look so worried?" I frowned.

"Its nothing, just still a bit overwhelmed I guess" Ravi chuckled slightly, masking his anxiety. "Come on Ken".

I watched as both of them exited the room, still unsure about if Ravi was really okay. I decided to put my worries behind me and get back to spending time with Leo.

I slowly opened the steel door, and found Leo lying down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. He didn't look at me as I slowly approached him, he seemed to be thinking really hard about something.

"Hey you" I whispered, nudging him to scoot over. Leo snapped out of his daydream and immediately made a space for me. He wrapped his long arm around my shoulder as I placed my head on his chest.

"Are you still mad at Ravi?" I asked quietly, playing with the material on his sweater.

"No" he simply replied, running his fingers through my hair.

"Then why does he still look so scared?" I propped myself up onto my elbow, and turned to look at his face.

Leo turned away for a bit, and his eyes dropped low. It was similar to the way Ravi responded to me asking him why he looked anxious. I could tell there was something they were not telling me.

"Its nothing really, we just spoke about the future. Now that I'm fully awaken, I can't be locked up forever, but at the same time, who knows what I'll do if I get out of here" he sighed, caressing my face gently. "There are too many cons".

"I'll help you to control your anger, we can do this, we can't keep you locked up in here forever" I mumbled, I couldn't believe they had given up so easily already.

"Exactly" Leo stared at me, his eyes soft and serene.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I can't stay locked up forever nor can I be outside, I'm not meant for this life Jagiya" he sighed, trying to get me to understand where this conversation was headed.

"Wait I don't understand why you are telling me this?" My voice broke a little, his concern in his words made me worried.

"This life im living now, was not my choice, it was my brothers, this is going against all that I believe in. I've lived my life once already, this here, is going against nature". He continued, as he looked deep into my eyes. "I asked Ravi to deactivate me".

I couldn't speak. I felt a similar pain begin to well up in my body. He wasn't serious. He couldn't have been. Our lives together couldn't of been this brief, we were soulmates, I needed him.

"No!" I yelled, pushing myself up from the bed "I'm not letting you do that, we are going to runaway from here okay? You me Ken and Ravi, then you won't hurt anyone, we'll go far away from here! We'll do what you've always wanted to do"

Leo held me in his arms, trying to calm me down. He pushed a strand of hair behind my ear and kissed me lightly on my cheek.

"I'm not human, remember that, I'm not going to be able to have a family with you, grow old with you or experience humanity with you" he whispered, holding my face in his hands.

"I don't need that! All I want is you! Please....I'm begging you...don't do this...for me..let's runaway" I sobbed into his chest, everything hurt, I felt as though my being was empty.

Leo stroked my head as I cried, resting his chin on my head.

"Okay Jagiya....we'll runaway, I'll help you live a happy life away from this place" he whispered, holding me closer to him.