Chapter 1

(Percy's POV)

I groaned and shut my locker. "I hate school. Why is it only Tuesday?" I asked Jason as we walked to our next class. Jason was a good friend of mine. We became friends in 9th grade when I accidentally spilled chocolate milk in his lap on the first day of school. It takes a lot to be friends with someone who embarrassed you on your first day of high school.

"I don't know man, but stop complaining. Just two more years and then we're done with high school. You can make it." Jason said with an amused smile. I rolled my eyes at him. "Yeah, two more years of high school then four years of college. Sure, there is nothing to complain about" I said sarcastically and sat down in my seat. Jason sat beside me and rolled his blue eyes to mock my earlier action.

The bell rang and our English teacher, Mrs. Carson, stood up in the front of the class. "Good morning class, today you will get a new assignment." The class groaned. Mrs. Carson glared at us before continuing. "You will read the book Huckleberry Finn and write a book report in cursive writing by next Monday." The class groaned again. I hated cursive writing with a passion. I couldn't read it and I couldn't write it. I could barely read print due to my bad case of dyslexia.

"I will pass out the books and then we will get started" Mrs. Carson declared as she walked to the back of the classroom. I sighed and slumped back in my seat.

...

The bell finally rang to free me from English. I gathered my stuff and walked out while Mrs. Carson reminded us about the assignment. My next class was gym so I put my stuff in my locker and started my long walk across the school to gym. "Hey Percy," Grover said as he caught up to me. "Oh hey, Grover, what's up?" Grover Underwood was my best friend. He had brown eyes and brown hair with a slight beard.

"I asked Juniper on a date today," he said with a giddy smile. Juniper was a girl in his math class that he had a crush on. I thought they were perfect for each other. They were both down to earth people and were obsess with nature. "Oh really? What did she say?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer due to the look on his face.

"She said yes and gave me her number" Grover cheered. I smiled and pat him on the back. "Congratulations man. When's your date?" "Friday. I still don't know where to take her, though" he said as we approached the locker room. I laughed, "well, good luck with that."

He walked over to his locker and I went to mine. I changed into my gym clothes and then looked over where Nico di Angelo's locker was. Nico was a smaller boy who was a year younger than me. He was born in Italy but moved here when he was about 8. For an Italian, you wouldn't think he would be so pale.

I met him when he was ten; he had a sister back then. But she died in a car accident a few months after. He wasn't social anymore. People didn't talk to him anyways because his father was forensic. The fact that he studied dead bodies freaked people out.

He looked up at me and I noticed I was staring. I looked down and walked out into the gym. Everyone was lining up in our P.E lines while Coach Hedge yelled at everyone to be quiet. Once all the students were lined up, Coach Hedge started to talk. "OKAY CUPCAKES, tomorrow we start a new unit. But it is a secret. Today we are going to run Track."

Everybody started to complain. The track wasn't so bad; Coach Hedge always wanted us to run around the whole building but only stood in one place to yell at people for being too slow. So people started to only run when they were in front of him. It was a small loophole but didn't make it any less miserable. "ALRIGHT CUPCAKES, LET'S MOVE" Coach Hedge yelled. We all slugged out the door.

...

Lunch finally came around and I sat at my usual table with my friends and my girlfriend, Annabeth. Annabeth and I met each other when we were ten. We had been together for two months. Annabeth was a very smart girl; she always loved to learn which I didn't get. Her stormy gray eyes and long blonde hair added to her attraction.

I really liked Annabeth. I never fell I love with her, for all the years I've known her. I never told her I loved her because I never did. I cared about her. I liked her. But love just seemed like a too strong of a word to describe what I felt. "Hey Percy" she greeted. I smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek. "Hey Annabeth, I'm tired," I said and took a sip of my water. "Don't you have swim practice today?" she asked, getting a spoonful of corn.

I was on the swim team for the school. Captain actually. I loved to swim, the water made me feel alive. It was like the only thing I could do perfectly without messing up. "Yeah, but that's fun." Annabeth laughed, "Right." I glared at the sarcasm in her voice. She just shrugged and went back to eating. Jason sat on the other side of the table a few seats down with his girlfriend, Piper. Piper was a beautiful girl with short brown hair and eyes that seemed to change colors. Like Annabeth, she didn't need makeup to look pretty.

Jason waved at me then continued to talk to Leo. Leo was the joker of the group and had a girlfriend, Calypso, who was way too pretty to like Leo. But she did and very much so. I sighed and looked ahead to the other side of the lunchroom. Nico sat with his friend, Will Solace. He was playing with his food with a thoughtful expression on his face. He always looked sad and out of place, the only person who really talked to him was Will. I had a strong desire to go over there and make him laugh.

I had always tried to have a conversation with the guy but, he always acted like he had something better to do. I missed talking to him, a lot. He was always very interesting. It always seemed like he would guard himself. From what, I didn't know. His dark hair and brown eyes stood out against his pale skin. He always wore black clothing. He also had dark circles under his eyes suggesting his didn't sleep much.

I looked into his chocolate colored eyes; a fuzzy numbing feeling went over me. just then someone walked in front of me, breaking our eye contact. He was staring back at me with a puzzled look. I didn't realize the he was looking back at me. I quickly shifted my gaze to my food. My meatloaf was not looking so appetizing.

I looked up at Annabeth; a weird feeling came over me. For the last week of our relationship, I've been feeling different. Our kisses lost its spark, and the amazing feeling I use to get when she looked at me was gone. Our relationship started to feel meaningless. It scared me because I really did like Annabeth, and I still wanted to be her friend, but I wanted out of the boyfriend zone.

My thoughts continued to swirl in my mind for the rest of the day.

Chapter 1. I changed it because it was really bad but I like this one better.