Honesty- A Friend & Foe

Start from the beginning

"Tell me, Alexis." Justin interrupted, giving me his infamous look.

I laughed nervously, choosing to look out the window.
"In a minute, but can I just say how good you look in black?" I said, regarding him from the corner of my eye.

In less than a second, Justin was stood an inch away from me. He gripped my wrist, pulling me towards him aggressively yet the expression on his face stayed the same.
"Stall one more time and I'll be at Aaron's doorstep telling him what I know." He said bluntly. I would have called his bluff, but with Justin, I could tell it wasn't a bluff. It was a cold-hard threat.

But, that didn't stop me.

I chuckled dryly, staring into his steely grey eyes.
"Tell him what? You don't know a thing." I challenged, pulling my arm from his grip. Justin didn't falter at this, but-rather- moved closer- the heat of his glare, burning into my face.

"Well, for one thing, I know there's an illness and I know it's you who has the illness. Lets just see how Aaron handles this information once I tell him, shall we?" He threatened once again.

I sighed. Justin knowing was one thing, but Aaron knowing was another. I loved the boy and to tell him such grave news would be more a painful job to me than it'd for him hearing it. Plus, Aaron's state at this moment wasn't particularly well, seeing as he was still recovering from what happened with Sam. He didn't need more on his plate, so- with one deep breath- I told Justin.

I told him how I suffered from Aplastic Anaemia and how it wasn't the common kind. This was rare; known as SAA aka Severe Aplastic Anaemia. A few hundred people in the US alone suffered from this and it has proved to be quite fatal. I told him about when I was diagnosed at 13 and how only my family knew about it.

I missed out the bit at the end about the problem of having no donor or the draining expenses and the toll it was having on my family. I didn't need him to pity me anymore than he was probably doing now.

Throughout my whole speech, Justin didn't say a word. He stood still and, as likely, I could not decipher what he was feeling.

I took a deep breath as I finished, looking down at the ground. I couldn't look him in the eyes after telling him what I did. I flinched when I felt contact and looked up to see Justin's hand on the top of my head. I closed my eyes in comfort as he stroked my hair back.

"But, you're getting treatment, right?" He said abruptly and my eyes snapped open.

Justin looked at me and I squirmed uncomfortably under his stare. How was I supposed to tell him that I stopped my treatment a few months ago? I didn't have it in me to tell him, but- by the looks of it- Justin had already guessed. A look of anger and bewilderment had found its way to his emotionless face and he moved closer dangerously.

"You're getting treatment for it, right?" He asked, but it wasn't a question, that much I knew. It was more of a statement that needed confirmation.

Yet, what confirmation could I possibly give, when I wasn't even getting treatment? I could lie, but I knew better when I realised whom the lie was going to be delivered to. It was Justin- the man who- without a doubt- could not be subjected to foolery.

"Well-" I stuttered and before I could think of a coherent excuse, Justin interrupted me once again. Though, this time, I was thankful.

"Damn." Was all that he uttered before sitting back on the bed, placing his head in his hands. I stayed silent. I found it best not to say a word. He was angry and, judging by how Aaron was when he was angry, I thought it best to not to rile him up.

After an achingly long silence, Justin looked up at me and it took everything in me to not run out the room upon seeing the murderous look in his steely eyes. Well, I would've, but I was on the other side of the room and he would inevitably catch me.