‘Erm…’ I said, on the edge of smiling in spite of everything. ‘I don’t think it was Eros… He was actually kind of… protecting me, I guess. Nice speech though.’

Eros was leaning against the wall, fully composed now. I couldn’t believe he’d lost it a few minutes ago. ‘Yeah, little fairy, great speech. But check your facts before threatening me. I actually got the guy off of her and made him run for cover.’

‘Thanks,’ I told Eros with a little smile. ‘I could have handled it myself, but that was pretty nice of you.’

‘I know.’ He flashed one of his rare true smiles. ‘But I just can’t get enough of beating Holden up.’

‘Holden?’ Simon and I said in unison, both with the same angry looks on our faces.

‘Can I go and play with him now?’ Eros asking in a mocking tone of voice. ‘I really need something to sharpen my teeth with and his dead rotting body seems just perfect.’

‘You’re insane, obnoxious and you really need to learn when to keep your mouth shut,’ I warned Eros, frowning. ‘But well, I owe you. So… thanks.’

‘Don’t I get a hug?’ he teased.

‘Don’t push it.’ I grinned. ‘Come on, Simon, let’s go celebrate our good grades. I assume you got two straight A’s?’

He smiled so widely I didn’t even need to see him nod. ‘You did pretty well yourself, Dem,’ he stated proudly. ‘Well done.’

‘Well, I think we really need to go celebrate right now so I can show you how grateful I am, because I owe most of it to you,’ I said with a little smile. ‘Huge kitchen raid and watching reruns of The Hills?’

‘Sounds like a great plan to me.’

When I woke up the next day, the first thing that came to my mind was the dance. Tonight, Simon would take me to the dance and he’d promised me last night – during a very dramatic episode of The Hills – that he’d dress up nicely. The only thing left to do was to pick out a nice dress to wear. Which was going to be hard enough – luckily I had the first hour off.

I’d never fully realized how many clothes I had. And more specifically – how many dresses I owned. When I opened my closet to pick out a dress, I realized there was simply too much to choose from. I had no idea what kind of dresses girls wore here – but I doubted I’d have the kind of dresses the girls from Eros’ crew would wear.

I decided to narrow my choices to my four favorite dresses: a tight black one that was barely long enough to cover much of anything, a flowing pink one with a bow tie on the back, a green sundress with cute red flowers and a royal purple gown that was amazing but very difficult to dance in.

‘Nice dress,’ Eve said, walking in while I was holding up the purple one.

‘Thanks.’ I lowered the dress and threw it on the bed with the other three. ‘I’m trying to pick one for the dance.’

Eve inspected them. ‘Well, the green one isn’t formal enough, I’d say… And pink isn’t an option… The black one is a little short… So I’d go with the purple gown.’

‘Well, short isn’t a problem," I said, smiling. ‘Sometimes, I like looking a little slutty. Play up the eyes a bit. And what’s wrong with pink?’

‘Nothing… if you were a fairy…’

I groaned. ‘Let me guess: only black and other dark colors for weres and vamps?’

Eve smiled apologetically. ‘Only red accents are okay, but that’s it.’

‘So, that means I’ll be surely wearing pink,’ I said, grinning wickedly. ‘I can’t remember ever signing some contract saying I’m obliged to keep up with the dress code around here.’