‘Ah Be-, De-… erm, I can’t remember your name. So, let’s keep calling you newbie.’ Mr. Hammerhead smiled widely. ‘There you are. I decided that you and the God of Love need some kind of special detention. So you’ll be painting my office tonight. Everything’s ready, so good luck and I’ll be in the teachers’ lounge, drinking coffee. No need to tell me when you’re ready, I’ll see your work first thing in the morning. If I’m not happy, I will just call you in again. And believe me, I will find a reason to. You’re both not exactly sweet kids. No pun intended.’

With that, he took off, leaving me and Eros alone. I sighed, averted my eyes from him and opened the door to Mr. Hammerhead’s office. It was a big, empty room, with ugly yellow walls that once had been clean white. It desperately called for a fresh coat of paint. In the middle of the room were all the stuff we would need – paint, a ladder and so on. Without further ado, I picked up a brush, popped open a can and walked toward a wall.

‘Are you still mad at me?’ Eros' voice sounded startlingly serious. ‘Demona?’

I turned around so I could face him, but that only startled me more. His face was deadly serious, worried even. I swallowed and attempted to smile. ‘Only a lot.’

He grimaced. ‘Look – I know you won’t believe it, but I am sorry about how I treated you.’

I raised my eyebrows. ‘And…?’

‘And what?’

‘You punched Kevin,’ I clarified accusingly.

‘Oh, that.’ Eros actually grinned. ‘Yeah, that wasn’t what I’d call a smooth move.’

I grunted and turned away from him again. Stupid, idiotic bastard. Why had I even bothered talking to him? He wasn’t going to act like a normal, rational being so I shouldn’t keep treating him like one. I picked up my can of paint and started on one of the walls. Big drops of paint slid down the ugly wall as I swished my brush furiously.

‘You’re mad again.’ It wasn’t a question this time. It was a statement.

I didn’t bother with an answer. He sighed and picked up a brush of his own, dipped it in the can I was holding and started helping me. We worked in silence for about fifteen minutes before he started talking again.

‘Why are you so mad at me?’

‘Give me one reason not to be,’ I hissed, not looking at him.

His fingers slid down my arm, taking my wrist in his hand. ‘Please, look at me.’

I jerked back my hand. ‘I would appreciate it if you would keep your hands off of me.’

‘Will you talk to me if I do so?’

I sighed in exasperation. ‘Fine.’

‘Tell me why you are mad?’ His voice was light now, amused almost.

‘Well, for a whole bunch of reasons. For one thing, you used mind control on me. You punched Kevin and then denied it. You treat me like I am amazing one minute, and then you act like I am nothing more than a bit of dirt under your expensive, polished shoes. You treat my best friend almost worse than anyone else treats him – which is pretty bad already. You tricked me into kissing you with your compulsion. You intimidated a guy that asked me out – this Holden – for no good reason. Do I really have to go on?’ I glared at him, still keeping up the painting.

‘Will you listen when I explain myself?’ Eros asked, brushing his fingers across my back, but catching himself in the act before he’d really done anything. He smiled apologetic, obviously hoping I wouldn’t mind too much.