Chapter 8; War Stories

Depuis le début

If I was being honest, the idea sparked a little bit of excitement deep within me at the idea, it had been so long since I had been in the presence of such a great amount of powerful people and the idea of hearing all of the histories of the pack made me curious. I had been a little over 9 when I had first been invited to a pack meeting. And I had been too young to be interested and had refused to go in the time I had remaining with my previous pack, I knew very little about such matters. It would be a very educational evening.

Ducking downwards before leaving into a slightly awkward bow, as do the other three men present I am then guided to me room. A far fetch from the hotel room I had been inhabiting for the past couple of days, and an even further stretch from home, but all the same it is comfortable and it will make do for a day or so.

The hours seem to pass within the blink of an eye, I am just happy to sit at the small window on the wall of the room which looked out onto the garden below the room. It was almost a fairytail like surrounding, rolling hills for miles and miles, if I had been given a picture, I would never have believed this place was so close to New York. It was picturesque.

No one would have ever believed the torment which had probably gone on upon these lands in the history in which this pack had held it as it's territory. Though the earth was old, I could tell from the smell of this place alone, the trees were new, and those which seemed old bore scars. Scars of fire, battles and civil war. Every pack had its history, but this one seemed to be flowing with the stuff.

Despite it all, the place smelled like home. Not my home maybe, but it smelled like somebodies home. The very earth seemed to give back the scent of this pack and the air carried a certain importance. This place knew what it was, the importance it carried. This place for someone somewhere, was the most important place that they could ever imagine. The pack house, where everything they knew and loved came together in one place. Occasionally I miss being able to have a place like this, but only occasionally.

Just beside the wooden door which closed off the outside world to the other side of the house, stands the man who I earlier believed was beta. From the looks of him, he appeared to be the brother of this pack's alpha. They shared the same well muscled figure and defined jaw line, he however carried himself with a much more humorous way.

Approaching him with only a step or two before stopping so that there was a metre away from me, "Is there any chance I can borrow a phone?" I ask as unsuspiciously as I can, strange as it might seem, the slightest word out of place could result in me missing my head from my shoulders.

He turns to look at me through narrowed eyes, though he doesn't voice it, I can tell he is thinking. Are you kidding me? How stupid do you think I am, Lone wolf. Shaking my head I attempt to explain with a sigh, "I have a wife. She will be worried out of her mind if I don't ring her soon, I promise you that I fear her more than I fear your alpha right now."

Thankfully the man laughed a little good heartedly, and he fished a small mobile phone from one of his pockets and handed it to me. "Fine, but you understand that I have no choice but to remain in this room. Just to be safe that you're not going to try and do something stupid."

Rolling my eyes, the people of this pack seem to think that I have custard in place of my brain to believe that I would dare to do something stupid when I am in such a situation. "Of course I understand, though you may wish to wear a pair of earplugs for a few moments to dull the noise. She will be angry." I warn with a chuckle, eagerly taken the phone from him and dialing the number in a hurried fashion.

Walking a little further away from the man, to gain even a little more privacy then with him. The phone rang four times, before she picked up the phone on the other end and without so much as an hello began talking. "What the hell has happened? I've been trying to get a hold of you for days, the hotel said that you left a while ago. Is everything ok?" She demands, and I don't blame her for worrying. I am apologetic that I was unable to get into contact, though unfortunately I was unable to be truthful.