Epilogue

"Oliver… Jane…?"

I barely call out for them. I wait for a response, even cupping my hand around my ear and leaning forward as much as I can and wait a minute to be fair. But when no one comes, I shrug and smile innocently. "They said to call out for them if I need or want something. But they never answered. I mean, Oliver should be at some business meeting, and Jane is busy. I snap my fingers. "Oh darn, I guess I will have to do this on my own. Oh, poor me." I smirk and throw off the blankets. "Oh well. I think I can bear it this once."

I hate being cooped up in my room all day. No one lets me do anything anymore. Like I'm incapable of walking. I am so bored. There's no fun in lying in bed all of the time. So I'm going to have a little fun today. Even it it's only for a little while. And even if I get in trouble.

I slide off the bed, find my balance, and tiptoe to the door. Slowly, I open the door to avoid any creak of the hinges and stick my head out the doorway. Looking left then right, I confirm that no one is in the hall. Thank God this house is smaller than Oliver's old one. Shorter distance to run. I'm home free! As lightly as I could manage, I tip toe down the hall to the kitchen to grab a snack. I know exactly where the object of my affections is contained. I go into a cabinet and dig out a cookie jar. Chocolate chip cookies, my favorite of all. Just baked today by Jane. I lick my lips.

"We're eating good today," I say aloud.

I take a handful of cookies, replace the jar in its place and quietly make it back to my bedroom door, but then I look out the window. It's a bright and shining day and I'm stuck in here. It's calling out to me. It's telling me to come enjoy the beautiful day outside. There's no harm in lying out in the grass. I will be lying down, which is technically what I am supposed to be doing anyway. So I should go on out there. I can't ignore the beckoning, but I go into my room to change into a different shirt, one of Oliver's even though it is a tight fit, and head outside. I stick my head out first again, for good measure, but it's all clear again, so I walk to the back door.

I throw it open and am blasted with cool, refreshing summer air. I breathe in a long breath, wafting it into my nose and smile widely. I can't help but regret a getting a smaller house because the backyard isn't as big as Oliver's old house. That may be cause of the small house-like apartment. But the grass is just as lush and welcoming and the flowers are just as colorful in blooming. It's good to be free again. I never thought it could feel as amazing as it already was to be outdoors. I've been deprived of it much too long. Like I'm being held captive or something, which I pretty much am.

"Annie?"

I flinch then freeze where I'm standing in the doorway. I have been caught red handed. I turn around to see the nine year old, but she's doesn't look at me like the criminal that I am, but lovingly as always. "Hello, Molly," I say innocently.

Her baby blue eyes blink twice, "Going outside?" she asks, not suspiciously or with accusation, but pure love. You've got to love this girl.

Does she know I'm supposed to be in bed? Or does she think I'm choosing to stay in my room all of the time? Okay, just play it smooth, and she'll never suspect anything. "Yes, Molly. I am going outside. It's such a pretty day. Would you like to join me out back?"

She smiles wide and jumps up, clapping her hands, "Of course, Annie." I hold out my hand and she takes it. I remember when my hand could almost engulf hers. Now it fits perfectly in mine. They grow up so fast. That thought scares me a little, and I shake it off.

I lead her out with me, closing the door behind us and we find a good spot in the sun to settle. She helps me to the ground and she sits next to me, hand still in mine. I hold out my cookies, "Want some?" I offer.