Chapter 15~ Expect the Unexpected

Zach made the varsity team. Along with JJ, Henry, Morgan, and Derek.

I completely forgot about how he tried out the Friday after mine and completely forgot that now I didn't know anyone on my team.

We found out the day after the results for JV came out and instantly, my anticipation died out. I was happy for Zach and the rest but now I was alone to face my debut season with people I've never even talked to.

We had 2 weeks before our first game. Varsity plays Friday night, JV plays Saturday afternoon, and Freshman plays Saturday night.

Today was our first practice. We had the practice field, varsity had the actual field, and freshman had the workout room to the side of the actual field. Zach seemed to feel bad but I know deep down, he really wanted that position on the varsity.

I slumped into the away locker room and set my stuff in one of the empty lockers nearest to the stalls.

Today was full dress, so I had to dress in one of the practice uniforms.

They gave us one set of practice uniforms and one set of game day uniforms. The practice uniforms weren't as durable and not nearly as elaborate as the varsity team, who received two sets of each. I sighed and grabbed my equipment, sauntering into one of the stalls.

I arrived early, so no one was here yet. I didn't know how I would confront the team but chances are, the coach will make me introduce myself.

I got suited and went to one of the mirrors, looking back at my wide eyed reflection. My helmet was poised under my arm and my hair was piled in a bun, making my shoulders seem even wider under the pads. I washed my face and dried my hands thoroughly, slipping my gloves on.

I started walking into the locker room when I met the eyes of more than 30 fully-dressed players gazing at me. I slowed to a stop and looked around at my new teammates, none of us saying a word. I could tell that they were each itching to ask me questions but not a single one spoke up.

I studied each of them, seeing that they were mostly sophomores and juniors. Freshman weren't allowed to be on the team as a starter and were only used if a second-stringer was absent at a game and only if needed. Seniors only remained on the JV team if they didn't make varsity and Coach wanted them to, although most end up quitting.

I purposely met eyes with all of them individually-as if reassuring them that I mean business. Finally, a guy in the front stood up and looked at me.

He was a ginger with deep brown eyes, a nice change from other stereotypical players. I recognized him as the quarterback and captain, Seth Sanders. He held his arm out to me.

"Welcome to the team, Evans."

I took his hand and shook it once, sealing an unspoken deal.

* * *

After rigorous drills, the whole team began walking towards the field. Varsity invited us to play scrimmage against them and we accepted. The team instantly clicked with me, understanding that there was no way we'd be able to win a game without fully cooperating with a vital member of the team. Some of them seemed to keep their distance, still weirded out by the gender difference but associated with me when necessary. I only knew about a third of their names because of coach shouting along with jersey numbers during warm ups.

One thing I knew for sure was that the other wide receiver was not very fond of me at all.

Coach Durham talked to the other head coach and then returned to us. "We're receiving first. Who's up, Gingham or Evans?"

The other wide receiver glared at me, opening his mouth to talk but Seth cut him off.

"I say we put Evans out there. Let's see what, um, she has up her sleeve." He said, saying the word she as if it were a foreign concept.