Chapter 1~ Here Goes Nothing

I opened my balcony doors and looked across at Zach's balcony leading to his room.

The lights were still off and the curtains were open. Chances are, he was still asleep since he was still accustomed to waking up at 8 am instead of 6.

I grabbed a pillow and went to the balcony's edge, leaning over a little bit. If I threw it hard enough, it would make a thud and he'd wake up.

Biting my lip, I bent my arm back and flung it as hard as I could at his set of balcony doors.

I paused for a minute, listening and looking for some kind of sign of him waking up. After a good couple minutes, I groaned and grabbed my phone.

I called him and it took almost until the last ring before he picked up. When the ringing stopped, there were shuffling sounds and a groggy voice finally spoke. "Nat?" he yawned.

I laughed. "Wake up, idiot. It's the first day of school!"

I saw him step up to the doors, keeping them closed. He rubbed his eyes and ran his one free hand through his hair. "It is too early, look the sun is barely up." Zach grumbled, pushing his sleeves up.

"Well I am-already dressed too."

He looked down. "Why is your pillow here?" He said through the phone.

I laughed again. "I was trying to wake you up by throwing it at your door. Didn't work."

He rubbed his eyes again and opened them wide, finally looking awake. He smiled. "You know I'm a heavy sleeper. I'm surprised I even woke up to your call."

"Well you're up now. Throw me my pillow once your done getting ready."

"Okay. I'll be outside in my car by 45."

"Okay bye!"

I hung up and turned around. I was about to open the doors when I was hit in my back with presumably the pillow.

I spun around and looked at a snickering Zach. "You suck, dude!" I said in mock anger.

I closed the doors and over to my full body mirror.

My mom and my sister had gotten me some new clothes yesterday while I was gone, so I wore some of that.

I decided to go with a floral printed romper and brown sandals. My toes were accessorized with rings and mint green nail polish, topped off with an anklet. My nails were navy blue and I had on a lot of dangly bracelets.

Satisfied, I parted my curls, grabbed my back pack and phone, and headed downstairs.

My parents and Becca were already up, my sister tapping her well-manicured nails rapidly on her phone. Her bold eyebrows were furrowed and her glossed lips were pursed.

I rolled my eyes, she probably was in another argument over text.

Alex was still back from the military and wasn't supposed to leave until November. He was asleep on the couch, being leisurely while he could.

I assumed Julie and Junior were still asleep as they were no where to be found and the house was oddly quiet.

I looked over at my dad, who was dressed in a fancy suit complete with a briefcase at his feet. He was looking at his watch and slipping on his dress shoes.

"Hey Dad!" I said cheerfully, grabbing an apple.

He looked up at me, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he smiled. "Hello, Natalie. You look lovely today."

I smiled at him. My parents were really happily surprised at my weight loss. They reassured me I was beautiful both ways but they said it was good that I was healthier.