Chapter 6~ Day of Tryouts

The guys are in the media!
Names as a guide :)

* * * * *

I sat in my last class of the day, anxiously drumming my fingers on the desk and stealing glances at the clock.

I had been eagerly counting down for 2:50 all day, waiting for the time to finally come when I can head towards the football field.

Yesterday, as soon as I got a yes, I had a conference call with Zach and Kat expressing my undeniable excitement. Kat promised to be there to watch it all play out, even if it meant missing practice which in itself is something shocking. Zach said he'd make the guys tag along too, just in case some convincing needed to take place.

Zach was sitting next to me, also staring at the clock in visible anticipation. We had already finished the assignment for the day so all we could do now was wait. The minute 2:49 became the longest minute I've ever experienced in my life.

When the bell rang, I bolted out the door, barely grabbing my stuff. I practically ran towards the locker room and changed into my workout clothes.

I was probably done changing in under 2 minutes, something that has never happened before. I scurried out of there and grabbed a waiting Zach's hand, sports bag dangling from one arm and backpack in the other.

I pulled him through the hallways and out across the parking lot to the field. I looked across and saw that no one was there, so I was early. I slowed down a little bit, giving Zach a chance to walk on his own.

"Well someone's excited." He commented with a crooked smile.

"More than anything ever." I chirped.

Was I nervous? Oh definitely. But I was determined to show those coaches all I've got and nothing will ever stop me.

Zach took my bags from me. "Hey slow down. You have to reserve all your strength and stamina for the real deal." He said, hoisting the bags over his shoulder.

My muscles relaxed a bit and I stretched my arms out as I walked.

We entered the stadium and went down to the set of pre-game locker rooms.

"We usually use the home locker rooms before try-outs but I'm not sure you'd be allowed in there..." Zach said uneasily.

One prominent factor I knew was going to stop me was the gender difference. Locker room pep talks and game plans before games were important and it would be hard to be a part of it if I wouldn't be able to change in the same area.

I shrugged. "Well, I'm basically already dressed so if the guest locker rooms aren't open, I can just slip on my cleats and go."

Zach shrugged too. "I guess."

We walked around the field to the other side where the guest locker rooms were. The doors were open, so Zach and I walked in.

The guest locker room wasn't so bad looking. They were lined with lockers on 3 of the walls, painted red and white-the school colors. There were 4 benches and one white board at the front, where no lockers were placed. A doorway led to another room which had restrooms and showers.

I walked over to one of the benches closest to the lockers in the back of the room. Zach set my stuff down in one if the lockers and sat next to me as I pulled my cleats on.

I tied my hair up in a ponytail and started stretching my legs out a little bit.

Zach was watching me as I did so and I looked at him, giving him a questioning look. "What?"