Chapter 8~ Underestimation

Dedicated to Jerrymouse2000 because the support from you guys is amazing!

* * * * *

Everyone was dead silent. I remained standing, head held high with a determined expression on my face. If I showed any sign of weakness, that would've been a mistake as then I wouldn't seem sure about the decision.

Coach Durham was eyeing me with an unreadable expression. He wiped his eyes with one hand, keeping them there. "I'm sorry I think I misunderstood. What?"

"I am here to tryout for the football team and I would like for you to give me a chance to show you what I've got to give before you stereotype based on my gender difference and appearance." I challenged, crossing my arms.

The athletic trainers and managers-hearing the proclamation I made-got up and walked over to where I was. One of them gave me a look but all of them just seemed either in disbelief or not taking it seriously. The coaches looked at each other and then Coach Durham looked at me.

I heard the familiar snicker from Alec but Durham gave him a glare.

"You," Durham pointed at me. "come with us a minute. Stacy and all you girls watch the boys." He said emotionless. The girl who gave me the look stepped up and nodded.

The coaches and the athletic trainer started walking towards the home locker rooms. I heard Zach's voice and footsteps behind me. I ignored them and kept walking, not wanting to faze my determination.

As I walked, I felt my heart thudding and my stomach was in a knot. Wondering what they would do, I walked in after them.

The home locker room was just like the visitor's locker room except much more spacious and nicer. It also included an office and a weight room similar to the one back in school.

We all filed into the room, Coach Durham holding the door open. He looked at Zach after I walked in and gave him a look. "Stay out here you 7." He ordered.

Wait 7? I snapped my head back and watched as Alec sauntered in.

"I'm coming in, Coach." Alec said.

Zach scoffed. "If he is, than I am too."

The coach gave them a look. "Am I dealing with kindergartners or men? Both of you-all of you- stay out here and that's an order."

Zach and Alec got silent, Zach clearly biting his lip to hold him back from saying something. The Coach slammed the door and I looked outside of the windows. Alec walked to the other side of the door and leaned against it as the rest leaned their head against the wall, leaving all of them anxiously gathered around the door, visibly straining to hear.

I stood awkwardly on the side as each of them took a seat on the conference table.

"Sit." Coach Durham ordered.

I quickly sat in the open spot at the end of the table and fixed my posture.

Each of the coaches except for Durham was flipping through stacks of papers.

"Sir, it's not a major violation. It's not even specified." Coach Wesley said.

"It doesn't say what would happen if a female player were to play." Coach Carter said.

Coach Durham nodded as he bent over to look at the papers they were indicating to.

I bit the inside of my cheek. They were actually looking into it.

The girl head of the athletic trainer shrugged. "I've heard of it in other schools-colleges even."

He looked up at her. "Like what schools, Alison?"

She pulled out a file from one of the file cabinets. "These. It was a study I had done when at college."

He examined the file and shut it, putting it aside.

"I know what she's talking about, but they were minimum contact players. She's interested in wide receiver, which is one of the riskiest." The special teams coach shook his head. "You can't let her. She'll never survive."

"Coach Williams has a point." Coach Wesley said flatly. "This is practically unheard of and just flat out unethical. If we put her on the field, we give guys the okay to push women around. Do we really need to be teaching men that?"

"If these 'men' can't understand the difference between how they can act in a game and how they can act in life, then they're not men. They can't and don't go around tackling other guys like they do in the game so why would they act like that towards a woman?" Coach Carter said. He looked at me and put a finger on his chin. "Plus, she's interested in offense and I would be pleased to have her on my offensive line." He nodded towards me. "Only if she can prove that she is worthy of the position. I can take any of those bench warmers and put them in if I wanted to but I'm looking for exceptional."

I felt relieved and grinned, speaking for the first time since my deceleration. "Thank you, Coach. You'll see I'm worth the time."

Coach Williams clicked his tongue. "Don't get your hopes up yet. You still have to tryout just as any of them and this is only if Durham is okay with the idea."

I looked over at Coach Durham, who was leaning back in his chair. He seemed to be examining me and evaluating the different opinions.

"I'm totally all for it." Alison said, shrugging again. "There may need to be some customized padding and tweaking of uniform involved but that's all manageable."

It was quiet for a minute but then Durham leaned forward, looking me dead in my eye. "If you go out there and give it all you've got and I find that you're fit for the team, then I have no problem with you being with us."

I felt like jumping up and cheering but I stayed seated, smiling slightly. "Thank you all, I won't disappoint." I started getting up to leave but be interrupted me.

"We're not done yet." He said.

I sheepishly sat back down and all of the adults looked at me. "In the event that you do make the team, we're going to have another meeting right after the roster is put up. You have to keep in mind what you might do is not a small thing. Quite the contrary, it is a huge ordeal that will most likely cause shock from not only your teammates, but this school, other schools, and everyone we face as soon as the word goes out. Media will be interested in you more than anyone else, which means that if you mess up, you will be bashed and you'll not only make us look bad but you will ruin your own reputation. We'll discuss details later, but as for now I want you to factor this into your thinking. You may then want to reconsider, which is completely acceptable. But I-and I'm sure us-would like for you to pull through."

I bit my lip and nodded in understanding.

"You're dismissed. Head back to the field, tryouts will begin."

Just as I was about to get up and leave, the door burst open.

In came Alec, who had an infuriated expression on his face. "Coach Durham! You can't let her on the team!"

Coach Durham seemed unfazed. "That's not your choice, Price. I told you to remain outside."

"But she's a girl!" He said, throwing his arms up. "Is no one even considering this!" He then directed them towards me. "Do you see her?! She wouldn't stand a chance."

I shot up. "Oh yes I would. I'm only a couple inches shorter than you, so I have a tall structure." I flexed my biceps. "And I've built muscle, so that adds in the strong aspect."

I folded my arms and looked at the unamused coaches. "Don't let him sway your decision, please. He's just thrown off by the fact that a girl may be able to out do him. In the end, it just matters what I'll be able to provide for the team which trust me is just as good if not better than any testosterone ridden boy can give."

With that, I spun on my heel and exited. "Thank you for your time and consideration."

"Oh and by the way..." I stopped right by the door and turned back, looking Alec dead in those metallic eyes.

"I don't disappoint," I smiled grimly to add effect to the tease. "I enthrall."