Chapter 13

Image of Uncle Darrel's dagger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Trent, what the hell's gotten into you? Let her go!" Matt shouts angrily, slamming into Trent's side.

Valery stumbles, but Trent's grip holds her where she stands, unrelenting. She openly sobs as she gasps for air. Angela grabs her waist, trying to desperately pry them apart. Matt finally manages to pry Trent's fingers off, tackling him. They fall in a vicious heap into the snow. As Trent and Matt roll around snarling, punching and kicking the shit out of each other, Angela pulls Valery away, eyeing Trent angrily."You're ok." Angela says, her voice soft and gentle as she strokes Valery's hair.

"About time you showed up," Valery croaks, rubbing her throat.

"Sh," Angela soothes, pulling her close.

Matt's knuckles slam into Trent's nose, leaving him limp. His eyes widen as he stops struggling, freezing. Matt stops as well, his fist raised with uncertainty. Fresh blood oozes down Trent's nose. "I-I'm sorry," Trent stammers, trembling. "I-I didn't want to do it. I didn't. Something came over me. I'm sorry. I'm good now. I'm so sorry."

"Don't make me hit you again," Matt pleads as he stands up.

"I'm back," Trent assures him as he climbs to his feet, looking at Valery. The pain and regret that runs across his face is enough to break her heart. He steps towards her but hesitates. The look of shock and betrayal on her face stops him.

Rubbing her neck and seeing the stricken look on his face, she has no idea what to say to him. Her mouth opens and closes a few times, not a sound coming out.

"Let's get you help," Valery says, looking away from Trent. She winces from the way her throat burns when she tries to speak.

"Help me clear the car off," Matt tells Trent. With his hand guiding Trent by the back of the neck, Trent has no choice but to follow instruction. As they get to work, Angela stays beside Valery.

"It's not him," Angela murmurs, watching Valery's heartbroken gaze looking at Trent. As snow is cleared away from the doors, Angela wraps her arm around Valery, guiding her to the car.

"I know," she whispers, climbing into the back seat. Angela crawls beside her.

As the two guys get the car cleared off, Matt guides Trent to the trunk. Matt opens it and after some rooting through his bag, he pulls out a rope.

"Give your hands,"Matt commands. Trent takes a step backwards.

"You gotta be kidding me," Trent objects. Matt sighs.

"You already tried to kill Val, and I'm going to have enough of an issue trying to navigate this car out of this frozen hell hole, I don't want to have to worry about what your warped brain is considering next. So either let me tie you up and get in this trunk or I'm leaving you here to walk home."

"At least tie them in front so I can sit comfortably," Trent tells Matt, holding his arms out.

"Until we know how serious this shit is, I could care less about your comfort. Sorry, but this is for the safety of all of us. I'm sure you understand," Matt says, grimacing. "I know you didn't mean to hurt her, but we can't afford anymore risks."

"I'll never forgive myself..." Trent whispers, turning around. "Even if she somehow manages to forgive me." He winces as Matt makes the final knots on the rope.