Chapter 29: Running Away From Everything

Tomoe's P.O.V

5 Days Before...

My eyes shot open. I was breathing heavily and was drenched in my own sweat. My heart was still beating from that dream. I felt alive, scared, curious. My feelings were all over the place.

What the hell just happened!?

I lifted my head up and took some deep breaths. The thunder stopped, but the rain didn't. But I couldn't hear anything now. It was peaceful. Good, I wasn't in the mood for another headache.

I pushed my hair and ears back as the sweat started to pour down my face. Okay, let me just contemplate what just happened.

Was it a dream? Or some goddamn nightmare!? Find the key? Find the 'true Brooklyn Johnson'? What the hell does that mean?

I've got to tell Brooklyn.

I don't care if she's trying to avoid me, I need to tell her before anything terrible happens to her.

Before I knew it I was off the ground and was stumbling down the corridor. My vision was a bit blurry and I swear to god I could feel a damn earwig eating at my brain.

My legs felt weak. I knew I was going to fall any second now, but I need to find Brooklyn. Maybe she was the key that Akura was going on about. Also that young woman said something about Brooklyn.

"Br...Brooke..." I stammered. Damnit, where the hell is she!?

My eye lids started to close and my whole body was going to shut down any second. I need to get to her. I need to understand why those people were in my dream, why they were asking me to find something and why the hell I was there in the first place.

"Brooke...Brooklyyy...BROOKLYN!"

And like that I fell forward and blacked out.

All I remember is the pitter, patter of footsteps rushing towards my side and someone saying something.

"Tomoe? TOMOE? NO, NO, NO!"

~ • ~

"And you're positive you'll keep an eye on him?" Fretted the concerned voice. I felt somebody grab my hand and was making circles delicately on the palm of my hand. "I mean, remember what happened when-..."

"This is Tomoe, Brooke, I think he'll be okay," reassured another voice. So that concerned voice was Brooke? I'm guessing the other one is Nanami then.

"Mmm, okay, I'm trusting you here, so you better be right hobo-buddy!" Said Brooke in a serious tone. Where was Brooke going? There's yokai's out there! She's not safe on her own!

"So you're just going to get hair dye and painkillers? Is that it?" Asked Nanami changing the subject quickly.

"Why? Let me guess, you want me to buy you some candy apples, right?" Sighed Brooke. She was still holding on to my hand. It felt warm, kind of reassuring as well. Obviously I was feeling happy. Not only did it show me she cared, it also showed me she wasn't mad at me. She's forgiven me.

"Maybe..." Murmured Nanami.

Brooklyn chuckled to herself and let go of my hand. I was a bit upset at first because I liked her touch and when she held my hand I felt safe. Then something unexpected happened.

I felt a pair of soft lips on my forehead. Gosh she loves teasing me, damn this girl. One of her hands were at the back of my head.

Those lips then moved from my forehead to my ear. "I know you're mad at me at the minute," started Brooklyn, "and I don't think I explained what I meant properly." She thinks I'm mad at her? I thought she she was mad at me.