Chapter 21: Tap, Tap

"A very long time ago," began Mizuki, pouring out some wine, "there was a big river near here. Most children would disappear due to the river. The people feared this village, so in order to rid of the curse it caused people to start building this shrine."

"For a god who's to born to meet the normal needs of normal people, like Yonomori, she could not survive without anyone around," continued Mizuki, pouring the liquid in a container.

"Was it because people left this land?" I interrupted quickly, taking off my glasses and placing them in my shirt pocket.

"Yes, and for that Lady Yonomori disappeared. But I know she still exists, and as I am her familiar I will keep waiting until the day she returns to me. For the time being, I will look after this shrine and protect everything in it."

All this time he has been stuck down here, stuck in the empty, cold shrine on his own waiting for his master who isn't even coming back.

That's such a sad way to continue with life. But says me, right?

"You feel lonely, don't you? You feel like you've got no one to talk to only the ones you worship the most? The ones who you trusted the most? Am I right?"

For one minute I saw Mizuki as me. We both are lonely. So lonely. I held onto his hand.

"Well you and me are in the same ship, buddy. But, we are the same. You see, I'm acting like a god, a time god, and I have a familiar called Tomoe, as you can kind of tell." I started messing with my hair. I've never spoken to somebody about Tomoe, especially in a nice way, but I here I go.

"If Tomoe was in this situation I would either tell him to stop moping and around and being sad, but that would kill me. I wouldn't be able to cope with that guilt and sadness on my shoulders. I would want him to go and live his life, even if it means at the Red Light District." I then rested my hand on Mizuki's shoulder.

"Basically, I'm telling you to go and live your life. You shouldn't keep being depressed about the past, you should be excited for the future. From a gods perspective, I think Yonomori would agree with me."

Mizuki was speechless, but I had to ruin it.

"BUT YOU DARE QUIT THEN GO TO THE RED LIGHT DISTRICT LIKE TOMOE AND FLIRT WITH ALL THE DAMN CHICKS THERE! BUT DON'T WORRY, YOU'LL BE FINE!"

I started twirling with my hair, but stopped when I noticed Mizuki's face was inches from mine. "Are you trying to cheer me up, Brooke?"

"Y-Yeah, I guess..."

"So sweet and nice, Brooklyn. As you are so nice Brooke, stay with me. Let's live together, watch the blossom trees and enjoy every moment of each other's company, forever."

I thought speeches change people, not make them more motivated. Well, I guess that's a new effect I have on people.

The more I pushed myself away from him, the more he would pull me back. He was hurting me now. I then flicked him in the forehead, and escaped from his arms. What am I doing? He's hurting and all I'm doing is making it worst.

"I'm so sorry," I sobbed, bringing my legs up to my chest, "I can't stay with you Mizuki. I have people waiting for me. People looking for me. I'm so sorry."

"You're too beautiful to cry, please stop crying." Mizuki placed his hand underneath my chin and lifted my head up gently.

"But I've got to go home, and you know I do. Tomoe will be looking for me and when he finds you..." I started laughing through my tears.

"Why?" Mizuki asked sadly, "Am I not good enough for you?"

"N-No just-..."

He coiled himself around my waist and started rubbing his head on my side. WHAT THE HELL?